Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting chrome off...

Hi all,

any tips for getting old chrome off some T-bars? I've tried a bench grinder with a brass wire wheel, I've tried sand paper....there must be an easier/quicker way, its pitted and looks real bad but I cant seem to get it off.

your help is appreciated.

thanks for your time...

Mac.

I took my front fender to a sandblasting company here in canada and they said the chrome couldn't be blasted off. All the could do was bead it and provide adhesion for paint which I had done and then painted. So far the paint is holding fine but it might be different on the bars which get handled more.
    The alternative was to take it back to a plating company and ask them to remove the plating. Might be cheaper and easier to get aftermarket bars?
    For what it's worth.

Comment

I tried blasting the fenders on mine, but was only able to scuff the surface.

So i thought, if I can create an etched surface, maybe powder will hold ...

So far, so good ...
      A baked on powder-primer and a metallic top-coat ... I was going to clear-coat that, but thought I'd see how it held up before I put that much work into it ...

Comment

I believe acids of one kind or another will also etch chrome, making it suitable for paint. As far as stripping old flaky chrome off so you don't get a patchy look, I dunno...

Comment

The procedure is very much the same as removing rust but with different
          chemical. First, degrease completely and scrub thoroughly with detergent.
          Mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid with 3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket.
          NOTE; ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER TO ACID !!! (It WILL explode)
          Hang two or three copper wires (#12 or larger) around sides of bucket.
          Connect these to ground of battery charger. Hang item to be dechromed in
          fluid with positive lead connected. Be sure part doesn"t touch ground wires.
          Within a few seconds or minutes, depending on thickness of chrome, it should
          come clean. More or less time as required. When finnished, wash parts in
          mild soda water solution to nutralize acid. (Do this right way to prevent
          rust) As with any caustic acid, handle with care.
          The procedure is very much the same as removing rust but with different
          chemical. First, degrease completely and scrub thoroughly with detergent.
          Mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid with 3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket.
          NOTE; ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER TO ACID !!! (It WILL explode)
          Hang two or three copper wires (#12 or larger) around sides of bucket.
          Connect these to ground of battery charger. Hang item to be dechromed in
          fluid with positive lead connected. Be sure part doesn"t touch ground wires.
          Within a few seconds or minutes, depending on thickness of chrome, it should
          come clean. More or less time as required. When finished, wash parts in
          mild soda water solution to nutralize acid. (Do this right way to prevent
          rust) As with any caustic acid, handle with care.
          '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
          '03 DR650
          sigpic

Comment

oops sorry didn't mean to repeat myself
            '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
            '03 DR650
            sigpic

Comment

Be careful! I'm not a chemist but I do known that chrome in some of its forms is very toxic.
              The chrome solution may well be considered a hazardous material.

Comment

when i did my frt fender(was chrome) I took it to the local chrome shop/powder coater and they dipped it and rinsed it for $20 ..I;d rather pay to have that done than mess with all the chemicals it takes..well worth $20.

DDM

Comment

Working...
                X