Which headlight ears do I want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which headlight ears do I want?

Hi guys, I'm gathering the parts I need to remove the fairing from my 78 GS1000.

It seems like there are at least two styles, is either preferable over the other for any reason other than appearance? (pics from ebay)

We have these:

And these:

What do you think?

For a headlight shell I plan on using this 7" from CRC2:

Comment

I'm guessing you could use either one. I believe the chrome style is off an "L" model

Comment

I agree, the chrome ones are probably off an "L".

However, that also means that they are offset for a 6" bucket and will not line up correctly for a 7" bucket.

The black ones won't look as nice, but will probably line up better.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          However, that also means that they are offset for a 6" bucket and will not line up correctly for a 7" bucket.
          Ahhh, thank you, the shiny ones seemed to good to be true...

Comment

Actually, looking at your original pictues again, I'm not so sure that the shiny ones are even for a GS.

The ones I have that came off my wife's 850L look like the black ones, except they are chromed.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Actually, looking at your original pictues again, I'm not so sure that the shiny ones are even for a GS.
              The ebayer claims those shiny ones are from a 79 GS1000 so I dunno, but I'm thinking I prefer the black ones anyways, and if it's possible the other style is the wrong bucket size then I'm not gonna mess with them.

Has anybody had good luck with the universal ones like these?

Comment

Originally posted by donnyh View Post
                Has anybody had good luck with the universal ones like these?

They work quite well.

You can sorta see them in the picture of #2 son's bike in my sig.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

after market headlight brackets....

hi guys when i purchased my 1980 gs1000e in 2000,it had aftermarket brackets and they have not given any problems at all,, hope this helps you regards david

Comment

You can sorta see them in the picture of #2 son's bike in my sig.
                    They look pretty good in that pic, and not dropping the forks tubes is a big plus.

Thanks guys.

Comment

the chrome ones are from a 79 L I know because I have them on a shelf but they aren't so shiny anymore.

Comment

The chrome brackets in your picture are whats on my 1980 550L but im thinking of changing to the after market style you pictured later in the thread.

Comment

The chrome ones you have are what is on my wife's 81 450. I have the universal ones on my and my sons' 850 and no problems, easy to get off and you can adjust them up and down if need be.

Comment

I have that same crc2 headlight (well, the complete halogen 6-1/2" assembly a bit further down the page you linked) and have used it on 2 different bikes (I keep it when I sell).

Currently, it's installed on my Honda Ascot, using the universal ears you've shown. Both work a treat, and look very good, IMO.

This time, the light will have to be sold WITH the Ascot, since the stockers got smashed...

I'd go for the universals in a minute, especially at only 11.95 for the pair.

Kirk

Comment

gsg headlight mount

you might consider the gsg headlight mount which is cnc machined from 6061 they are sold by streetfighters inc in the states you can see a pic in my buildup

Comment

Working...
                              X