Tachymeter dissasembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachymeter dissasembly

Somehow a spider got into the Tachymeter assembly on my 1979 GS550E (maybe L)... Anyone ever take one of these apart? i have it down to this bright orange case but the glass appears to be glued on to it, is it?
    Thanks

Originally posted by Adler View Post
    Somehow a spider got into the Tachymeter assembly on my 1979 GS550E (maybe L)... Anyone ever take one of these apart? i have it down to this bright orange case but the glass appears to be glued on to it, is it?
    Thanks
    E or an L? dont know what bike you got? prise the top off with a screwdriver or a bottle top remover works well
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

well the guy I got it off of said it was an E and in the box of spare parts there are GS550E badges... but it looks a heck of a lot like an L.

I'll try to pry it off... Is that going to damage it at all? how will it go back on?

EDIT: prying didnt work... And now I've noticed that the little metal holders for the lights have also fallen in.
      EDIT AGAIN: so I managed to get it off, spider removed... little metal holders glued... now to make it look less mangled
      Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

For anyone else needing to get into the tachymeter, I would definitely suggest using a cutting tool to break the orange case as opposed to unbending the metal glass holder thing. Then gluing the halves together again... I wish someone had told me this as my tachymeter now looks like a dog had its way with it...

Anyone have a spare 1979 GS550 Tachymeter?

Comment

Hi,

From the Garage Section of the GS Resources homepage:

How to get inside your gauges
          :
          Get inside those gauges without destroying it.

Or you can do like Mr. Nessism does...

Use a flat screwdriver and gently pry away the bezel to gain access to the interior. Once you have started you may be able to use a small needle nose pliers to bend the edge and more easily facilitate the bezel removal.

Use a small hammer and drift punch to bend the bezel back and you won't be able to tell from the front.

I know, I know, too little too late. Sorry.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

well the cutting would work... but the small screwdriver probably wouldnt have worked on my gauge anyways... the metal was VERY tough to bend

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              well the cutting would work... but the small screwdriver probably wouldnt have worked on my gauge anyways... the metal was VERY tough to bend
              Yes, it will work fine. I've opened 550 gauges before by bending the bezel without issue.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well one way or the other, this is how it looks now... any ideas how to make it look presentable?

Comment

If you have access to a drill press? Just use a cut off wheel (dremel) and rotate the speedo. Much easier than trying it by hand

Comment

the gauge is already apart, Im looking for ways to make it look like i didnt try to chew it off!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X