No announcement yet.

Original seat cover replicas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are welcome. Tomorrow night the cover comes off and Wednesday it ships overseas. I will post with more info after that.

Comment

Don't forget the Katana guys, those 82's with the Suede style seats are a nightmare to find covers for

Comment

Originally posted by English Bulldog View Post
        Don't forget the Katana guys, those 82's with the Suede style seats are a nightmare to find covers for
        That's the plan. We'll see how it works out.

Comment

I tried one of those pit replica seat covers. It is heat pressed and the pattern is quite close to the original. Should be a good daily use cover allowing one to save their original seat for shows etc. Over all not bad.
          1980 GS1000E

Comment

I have been looking for a new seat for my '82 750, my seat pan is rusted badly. So, I was at the salvage yard last week and sitting there was 2 80-82 750's BOTH with decent seats on them, all they needed was a little armor all or something. SO I asked 'How much', and the guy said, he couldnt sell them because they don't have a salvage license A salvage yard with no license, holy crap, talk about useless. Not a lot of brain power there it seems

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
              I tried one of those pit replica seat covers. It is heat pressed and the pattern is quite close to the original. Should be a good daily use cover allowing one to save their original seat for shows etc. Over all not bad.
              Any pics? They have received good reviews on other boards, but those seat covers are probably easier to duplicate than the 1100E....I'm especially curious as to the accuracy of the heat-pressed detail.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

These are high quality model and year specific replacement seat covers available to suit the following models. GF250, GN125, GN250, GN400, GP100, GP125, GR6...

I have a cover made by this guy and while the pattern isn't exactly the same as the original overall it's a very good replacement and an exact fit.
                About US$45 + shipping.

Last edited by psyguy; 07-27-2010, 07:43 AM.
                GS850GT

Comment

Update (2 parts) Group buy part

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                  Any pics? They have received good reviews on other boards, but those seat covers are probably easier to duplicate than the 1100E....I'm especially curious as to the accuracy of the heat-pressed detail.
                  Here is their eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Pit-Replica

They look pretty good. I asked him abut a group buy, and this was his response:
                  "Thank you so much and I look forward to make this seat cover for you and you can in turn sell them to your community. I give 30% discount for min order of 10pieces. You can pick up another models I have in stock to make up the number of 10pieces."
                  I brought this up at the Red River Rally and people were very responsive. Frank told me that he would work with me to set it up.
                  I sent this question to the vendor:
                  "I attended a rally of our group last week and explained the terms of the group buy to the attending members. It was met with great enthusiasm, and I believe there will be no problem meeting or exceeding your minimum quantity. The only issue that remains is the coordination of the order and the handling of payments. Do you already have such a process in place?"
                  I am waiting for their response. Please note, this is not a request to the forum to start a group buy. That will most likely be a separate thread.

I also sent him this information:
                  "I am sending you the cover to my 1983 Suzuki GS1100E. It fits all 1982-1983 Suzuki GS1100E and GS1100ES models.
                  If you will examine the cover, you will see that a seam has separated. This is the single point of failure for this cover. If there would be some way to reinforce this area, it would be greatly appreciated."
                  Also waiting for a response to this information.

Comment

Update (2 parts) Virtually free seat cover offer

They did not have a cover for my 83 GS1100E. Here is their response:
                    "We are looking for seat cover samples of all popular motorcycle & scooter. If any/all of your motorcycle or scooter is having an original seat, and you would be kind to send its original seat cover/s to us, we can make an identical one for you and send it to you totally free of charge. Don't worry if your seat cover is ripped or torn. This is the whole idea. Send us your used cover in exchange for a brand new one totally free of charge. All we request from you is to put on our seat cover and take some good pictures of it and then email them to us as soon as possible.

We are making only 1 offer for each model. First come first serve

Once we have received the cover/s you send us, we will start to replicate immediately. Within 2-4weeks, we will send you a brand new replica of the cover/s you sent us. We will also pay for registered airmail to send the replica seat cover back to you.

It’s all FREE OF CHARGE!!!

We are professional seat upholstery experts with more than 30years of experience. Heat pressed seat covers available nowhere but here in our shop. Quality assured. We sincerely invite you to tour through our range of seat cover available in our ebay store and you will know the quality of our work: http://stores.ebay.com/Pit-Replica

Remember! We will only accept 1sample for each model. So be the first! This is totally no risk to you..."

I say virtually free because you have to pay shipping to Thailand. This was a bit confusing because I got on-line at the USPS shipping calculator, and they quoted me a price of $13.45 for the small box. However, when I went to the Post Office, he did not have that price listed. Not wanting to argue with him, he sold me a box for $1.79, and then charged me $13.65 for First Class shipping. Still an excellent price, IMHO.
                    So, if you are looking for a cover, go to their eBay store and see if they stock it. If not, contact them and they will work the same deal with you.
                    The only down side is your original seat will not have a cover for a while. I am suffering with my Corbin Gunfighter seat at the moment, but the sacrifice should be worth it.
                    Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      They did not have a cover for my 83 GS1100E. Here is their response:
                      "We are looking for seat cover samples of all popular motorcycle & scooter. If any/all of your motorcycle or scooter is having an original seat, and you would be kind to send its original seat cover/s to us, we can make an identical one for you and send it to you totally free of charge. Don't worry if your seat cover is ripped or torn. This is the whole idea. Send us your used cover in exchange for a brand new one totally free of charge. All we request from you is to put on our seat cover and take some good pictures of it and then email them to us as soon as possible.

We are making only 1 offer for each model. First come first serve

Once we have received the cover/s you send us, we will start to replicate immediately. Within 2-4weeks, we will send you a brand new replica of the cover/s you sent us. We will also pay for registered airmail to send the replica seat cover back to you.

It’s all FREE OF CHARGE!!!

We are professional seat upholstery experts with more than 30years of experience. Heat pressed seat covers available nowhere but here in our shop. Quality assured. We sincerely invite you to tour through our range of seat cover available in our ebay store and you will know the quality of our work: http://stores.ebay.com/Pit-Replica

Remember! We will only accept 1sample for each model. So be the first! This is totally no risk to you..."

I say virtually free because you have to pay shipping to Thailand. This was a bit confusing because I got on-line at the USPS shipping calculator, and they quoted me a price of $13.45 for the small box. However, when I went to the Post Office, he did not have that price listed. Not wanting to argue with him, he sold me a box for $1.79, and then charged me $13.65 for First Class shipping. Still an excellent price, IMHO.
                      So, if you are looking for a cover, go to their eBay store and see if they stock it. If not, contact them and they will work the same deal with you.
                      The only down side is your original seat will not have a cover for a while. I am suffering with my Corbin Gunfighter seat at the moment, but the sacrifice should be worth it.
                      Best of luck.
                      holy moley!

p.s.- DIBS!
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371
                        I also agree about waiting. I would love to join in on this and send you my 550 cover but I'm concerned with the fact we are dealing with a company in Thailand that probably most of us know nothing about. Do you have any other information on them (website, white paper, something other than an Ebay link only because I can't access Ebay from work) that we can check out? I have no problems dealing with overseas companies if I can see who it is I'm dealing with and their reputation. I also would like to know more about their return policies and their warranties as well as how well they do business. Know what I mean?
                        You really need to examine their eBay link and read their ratings. I went through 14 pages (out of 50), and the only negative feedback appeared to be in error, because it also said "Thank you great E bayer".
                        I also Googled it, I found a negative comment about them, but the writer had installed a seat cover for an 80 XL175 on his 82 and complained about the fit. Generally I ignore posters who install the wrong product on their vehicle, kind of like putting a cover for an 80 1100E on an 83.
                        They have been a member of eBay since 2008, so they have had plenty of opportunity to recieve negative feedback.
                        I found no website or white paper.
                        There was no mention of a warranty or return policy. You would have to ask them. In my case, my cover was trashed with the traditional seam rip, so I had nothing to lose IMHO.
                        Everyone should be aware that dealing over the Internet has inherent risks involved. However, if you look at the quantity of seat covers they carry, it appears that at least 500 persons have taken the risk of sending their covers to Thailand. IDK, we'll see.
                        Please note, I am not trying to sell products for this company. I have nothing to gain from their business practices. If anyone has doubts, they most certainly must do their own homework. I am just pointing out the fact that they exist and appear eager to do business with us.

Comment

I sent off a message asking them if they make a 550L seat and they responded,
                          "
                          Hi,

We do not have this seat cover but you can hire us to make one for you if you can send us sample seat cover.

Thank you
                          Best Regards,. TC "

Maybe the 550L isnt popular enough for them?

Comment

Never mind, someone has already asked about the 1100 Katana's suede material recovering
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM. Reason: screw up

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                              Since the covers are being made from scratch, it would be ideal if something could be done to address the inherent problem with the original, in terms of the seam splitting at the front contour.....either eliminating a couple seams in that area, or if that offends the purists, at least reinforcing that location from underneath, where it won't be visible.
                              For those of you who are lucky enough to still have pristine OEM covers that haven't yet torn, as well as those of you who have clean tears on your OEM covers, may I humbly suggest a product I came across years ago at the Int'l Housewares Show? It is called "Tear Repair," made by "Power Poxy," and it is worth its weight in gold!

When I first came across the product at the show, they were doing demonstrations where they cut a piece of vinyl in half and used "Tear Repair" to fix the joint simply by butting the two ends together and applying a thin coat over the joint. The stuff dries completely clear and is almost invisible when dry. After only a few minutes the joint was incredibly strong, and at full strength it is impossible to pull the two pieces apart ... the vinyl rips at another spot instead!

I had a few small rips in my 1100G seat (on both lower front corners) and used "Tear Repair" to fix the seat without even removing the cover. The repairs are almost invisible, and there is no sign of breakdown even after at least seven years. I could've done a much better job if I hadn't been impatient (and if I hadn't applied a second coat - not supposed to do that), but I'm very satisfied with the results! I have also used the product for many other permanent repairs over the years, of clothes, tarps, etc...

Sorry for the poor picture quality - I didn't get a chance to clean the dirt/dust off the bike when the pictures were originally snapped. Suffice it to say you can see from the pics that the tears were in a place that is constantly being stressed/stretched, which is why the vinyl originally failed where it did.

It occurs to me that you guys could easily use "Tear Repair" on the inside of your "weak spots" to reinforce the OEM seats and prevent the tearing from ever happening ... or you can fix the ripped seats so that the damage almost disappears. Furthermore, you could use this stuff on the inside to reinforce the new covers before installing them as "insurance" against future problems. "Tear Repair" used to be sold at Menards, but they seem to have changed products recently. "Blain's Farm and Fleet" still sells "Tear Repair," (at the best price - a few bucks/tube) and it is also available online.

This stuff is the real deal ... I have never used a product out of a tube that did what it claimed as well as "Tear Repair" does...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                                For those of you who are lucky enough to still have pristine OEM covers that haven't yet torn, as well as those of you who have clean tears on your OEM covers, may I humbly suggest a product I came across years ago at the Int'l Housewares Show? It is called "Tear Repair," made by "Power Poxy," and it is worth its weight in gold!

When I first came across the product at the show, they were doing demonstrations where they cut a piece of vinyl in half and used "Tear Repair" to fix the joint simply by butting the two ends together and applying a thin coat over the joint. The stuff dries completely clear and is almost invisible when dry. After only a few minutes the joint was incredibly strong, and at full strength it is impossible to pull the two pieces apart ... the vinyl rips at another spot instead!

This stuff is the real deal ... I have never used a product out of a tube that did what it claimed as well as "Tear Repair" does...
                                Thanks, that's certainly worth checking out. I picked up a small bottle of a similar product called The Last Glue at the Toronto bike show, that I suspect has the same base (ethyl cyanoacrylate)....the demo was very similar to what you described. I've used it in my car, to stick small tweeters on the dash, and it worked pretty well. In the demo among other things, he cut an auto fan belt in half, stuck it back together with one drop of glue, and invited anyone to pull it apart again, after 5 seconds (needless to say, it was impossible).
                                Certainly a good idea, esp. after the fact....I hope the seat cover manufacturer can accommodate us with double stitching the problem seams on the new covers too, which should extend the life quite a bit.
                                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                                X