Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winshield woes

Hi you all!

I'm replacing the windshield on my82gsgk the p/o had a new lexan one made about 5 years ago and included it with the bike. I go to get it ready to put it on and the paper mask that protects it is coming off in tiny pieces and leaves the glue still on the shield. I need something that will disolve the old hardened glue and obviously won't hurt the lexan any ideas.

I would try Ronson lighter fluid, on a clean cotton cloth.

Try it in a hidden area like near the attachment bolts where it won't show if it clouds the plastic. I don't think it will.

Ronson takes off lots of glues and goos and doesn't mess with the plastic much. None in fact on anything I have used it on, including plastic slot cars.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I've tried Naptha, rubbing alchohol, Goo -gone wd-40. Had only slight results with the rubbing alchohol.

Comment

The glue at times will lift a little bit then I can peel somewhat then there are other sections that are hard, I worked on it for 3 hours and was able to get only about 7 inch section, there has to be something out there that works faster. I have both sides to do.

Comment

The vegetable oil is a good idea. another option would be mineral spirits. Lighter fluid is pretty much the same as naphtha, and should work OK.
          JP
          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
          1992 Concours
          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
          2007 FJR

Comment

I'm surprised the naptha attempt did not work. Did you try letting the naptha soak in for a while? That should soften it up. Same with WD40. The only one not on your list that MAY work would be turpentine. Again, let it soak for a bit. Avoid fingernail polish remover ... it will eat the lexan.

Comment

Heat

Many adhesive films of this type that have sat for a while become hard and difficult to remove (which I'm guessing you know about by now)

However the application of heat, via hair dryer, or if possible a heat gun will weaken the glue and allow it to peel away nicely. I would be careful not to overheat though as the wind shield itself could become malleable if heated too much.

Comment

Be very careful with any sources of heat such as a heat gun or heat lamp. I melted a fairing part with a heat lamp once. Left it unattended too long.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Cut yer losses man....go get a new one. Once that adhesive fuses into the plastic its junk. You can sand it off and polish it but it will be distorted and as youre finding out its mucho work.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Before you give up on it I'd try the veggie oil soak, and by soak I mean cover it with a soaked towel in a tub and come back the next day ... Keep in mind it took months or years for the glue to dry out, so waiting just a day for the oil to re-saturate it is no time at all...

Good luck!

Comment

I just remembered another one my wife used on stickers, etc. ... Baby oil. Let it soak for a while, as others have suggested.

Comment

Howdy all!

I tried the veggie oil,hair dryer, let it sit over night with wd-40, let it sit with naptha, only thing I have had a little result with is the rubbing alchohol but even with that it is so slowww. Have not tried mineral spirits or turpentine yet!!!! maybe a bottle of Jack Daniels? for me, not .......the shield. There has to be something.....i'm wondering what shops do when they have lexan sitting around for years. i can't imagine them wasting that stuff.

Comment

I'm willing to bet they toss it ... simply not worth the time/$$ for a shop. Different situation for an individual, though...

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                          X