Maier sport Fairing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maier sport Fairing??

If anybody has one of these, please tell me your opinion of it. Does it really do anything to reduce the wind blast at all? It's so small compared to a Vetter.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/sport-fairings/p2000643.jcwx#
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

I have had one on my 850 and liked it. It does take some of the pressure off of your chest. Also seemed to move some of the air flow up over my shoulders. I was surprised at how much it moved the airflow up and around me.
    80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Have them on both the 1000 & the 750... very nice. Moves a surprising amount of air & no nasty buffeting in my experience.

I have a GIVI fairing (looks like a tall Ducati Monster fairing) that is up for sale should you want to go that route.

Maier:

Givi:

The Givi is a much higher quality piece with all stainless fixings etc (comes at a higher price too!) but I prefer the look of the Maier.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

i put one on my 850 this spring and i LOVE it. Funny thing, it added more top end HP to my bike

I can go another 20 mph faster b/c of the deflection of wind and it is much more comfortable.

I would strongly suggest getting one but keep in don't expect the same affect after riding a full fairing bike. You do still get air but not as much as going nake.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Saltymonk, What size headlight does the GIVI fit? I have wanted one of those for my 83 GS1100E. How much do you want for it? Also, which of the 2 offers better wind protection? I like the looks of the GIVI.

Ken

Comment

Had one on my 1100 LT for a while, kept the wind off my chest, some push on the shoulders and head, liked it better than my Givi. Was not really impressed with the mounting hardware though.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I made my own brackets for the same reason... out of ally bar.

I would say the Givi offers more protection & adjustability than the Maier but is a little more involved to set up (you have to mess with the "rake" in order to get a point with minimal buffeting). Having said that, adjusting it is a breeze so it's something you could continually mess with on the road for a day till you get it right.

The Givi's go for over $200 new, $230 here plus shipping. I'm into this one about $160 but will take $150 shipped in the US for it.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I like the looks of the Maier better than the Givi. Don't really care for the Givi. I want to try a Maier but am hesitant because I don't want to spend a lot of money if I don't know if I'll like it. I'm torn because I was thinking of going the Vetter route so I can have a radio plus more protection when the weather cools down. But, they are so heavy. I guess I could get a windshield to replace the Maier when it gets cold. Anybody have a Maier they want to sell for less than $100?
                Current Bikes:

Comment

I regret buying mine. Doesn't do a damn thing for wind and it cracked at the left mount. It is definitely NOT worth the price. If it cost $60, maybe but not worth anything close to $100 or more.

My .02, keep looking for a better fairing.

Comment

I had a Slipstreamer SS-28 on my Honda CB450. I liked it because it covererd your hands which helped in the cooler months, was 100% clear, and was fork mounted. It didn't block 100% of the wind but enough to help. One downfall was while it took most of the blast off your hands and chest you still had some head bobble, but not as much as riding without one.

I have a Vetter Mark IV with 21" windshield and full lowers on my GS850 now.

Pros -
                    1) Storage
                    2) Wind block
                    3) Keeps legs warm in cold months
                    4) The little "dashboard" to put things on

Cons -
                    1) Windsheild bounces a lot
                    2) Windsheild edge is right at eye level
                    3) Lowers are too hot in summer. Forces engine heat right up your legs/chest/face, but take them off and problem solved
                    4) Needs removed to change sparkplugs
                    5) Headlight doesn't turn with handle bars since it's mounted in the fairing

Although there are more Cons than Pros, the Cons are minimal comapred to the benefits of the Pros.

I like it. I think I'll keep it.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                      I regret buying mine. Doesn't do a damn thing for wind and it cracked at the left mount. It is definitely NOT worth the price. If it cost $60, maybe but not worth anything close to $100 or more.

My .02, keep looking for a better fairing.
                      Nice to hear the other opinion too. Thanks. I was THIS close to buying one, now I gotta think about it.
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
                        I had a Slipstreamer SS-28 on my Honda CB450. I liked it because it covererd your hands which helped in the cooler months, was 100% clear, and was fork mounted. It didn't block 100% of the wind but enough to help. One downfall was while it took most of the blast off your hands and chest you still had some head bobble, but not as much as riding without one.

I have a Vetter Mark IV with 21" windshield and full lowers on my GS850 now.

Pros -
                        1) Storage
                        2) Wind block
                        3) Keeps legs warm in cold months
                        4) The little "dashboard" to put things on

Cons -
                        1) Windsheild bounces a lot
                        2) Windsheild edge is right at eye level
                        3) Lowers are too hot in summer. Forces engine heat right up your legs/chest/face, but take them off and problem solved
                        4) Needs removed to change sparkplugs
                        5) Headlight doesn't turn with handle bars since it's mounted in the fairing

Although there are more Cons than Pros, the Cons are minimal comapred to the benefits of the Pros.

I like it. I think I'll keep it.

Jim
                        I've had two Vetters in the past and I agree with all your pros and cons.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

I have to say I like my Maier Fairing, no it's not going to keep a cold wind off but I have a big Plexifairing for that. The mounting brackets by the head light could have been a little better built, but with a little bending some fitting I like the way looks.
                          One thing I found out is I now have to clean the bugs off my helmet.

sigpic

1979 GS1000E
                          1982 GS1100GL
                          2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

Working...
                          X