Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder Coat as a Primer?

Bear with me.

I was wondering if I had something powder coated, can i then paint on top of it and will the paint stick? Thinking maybe roughing it up with a little sandpaper first.

My reason is this. I can get parts powder coated no problem (granted its a little on the shady side) but the only color I can get it in is black. I want those parts green. But I would love to have the protection of the powder coat underneath. Is this viable or should I just sand blast and paint with spray on enamel. By the way the parts i want to do this with is the fenders, and Tank maybe. The fenders especially because they take alot of dinging from small debris off the tire and are often the parts that begin to rust first...other than exhaust bolts or any other bolt that would require machining to remove... I digress... Inquiring minds want to know.

Paul

Your thought process is good. Yes, powder coat is way tougher and sticks better than plain paint. You just need to make sure the paint you use over the powder is compatible with it.

Comment

Working...
    X