Painted screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted screen

Can it be clear again? would rather it be clear than like this.Was thinking that sanding it off with very fine paper then polishing might work.What do you think?

Gloss black paint would look good, you don't ever look through it anyway.
    Or find a replacement? Maybe you could wet sand through the paint and then repolish it but what a lot of work that would be.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Industry leader in aftermarket and custom motorcycle windscreens. We will bring your windshield ideas to life!

Gustafsson plastics, they'll have a new screen for you.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Being cheap I will try polishing it out first.Good to know where to get one if it doesn't work.

Comment

I to had to cover up some ugly plastic.. LOL I matched the curves half way up and painted it to match the natural lines of the faring... Looks half way decent.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
            http://www.bikescreen.com/

Gustafsson plastics, they'll have a new screen for you.
            I had one from them on my '83, It kinda looked like crap.
            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
              I had one from them on my '83, It kinda looked like crap.
              ??????? Did you order the correct screen?
              That's where I got mine from and it looks great, I got exactly what I ordered.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand your response.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I did it my way

Yes I when the sanding and polishing route.Here's how I did it:

Before I started

Wet sanded here,wife was in the kitchen.

Used this to finish sanding.Started with 400 to get through the paint.

Getting though the paint.

Done the sanding.Looks better already

Hand polished with cut polished.

Next step,worked great on the headlights to.

Done,not perfect but I don't look trough it!Took about an hour,saved me $140.Time well spend IMHO.

PS my apologies to Frank
                Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2010, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                  ??????? Did you order the correct screen?
                  That's where I got mine from and it looks great, I got exactly what I ordered.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand your response.
                  Yes, it was the correct screen. Same one as in this thread, nothing else would even come close to fitting the 700/750/1100ES fairing. Granted this was back in 1986 when i got the one i had, maybe the one they make now is better but, the one i had looked like crap. the contour was not the same as the fairing, They used a way too thick of a lexan stock that it was formed out of. And it had they're ugly logo embossed into it. Within a year i purchased one from Lockhart/Phillips. A much nicer unit, unfortunatly they haven't been available now for years. They looked even better than the stock one did. Hope to someday find a good used one.
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                    And it had they're ugly logo embossed into it.

I know exactly what you mean, and they put it on both sides. I must admit the logo annoys me too, I keep looking at it trying to figure out how to remove it without damaging the screen.

On my screen, I sometimes wish it was maybe .0010 thicker, I put the closeout strip on the trailing edge of the screen to stiffen it up a little.

Comment

Here's how the screen looked before

And after

Looks better IMHO.

Comment

Looks good you done good.

Comment

Working...
                        X