refreshed rear wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refreshed rear wheel

it is a slow project rebuilding a bike. Especially when it is your only transportation to work. So any down time results in mass amounts of work fitted into little time. So when my carb boots broke and my carbs fell off causing my bike to die. I decided to put the new tires on. (yes the bike ran fine, and the boots looked good).

So here is a picture of my rear wheel re-done. Sorry no before picture it was pretty nasty. I will post a pic of my front tonight when I remove it. Glassbeaded the rim here at work, red scotch pad, 0000 steel wool, finished off with a nice wax to seal the bare metal lip. I wanted a little more modern look and opted not to polish the spokes. Painted with a semi gloss paint. I used our 80 ton press to pop in some new bearings, and have a new sprocket set and chain at home.

Yum. Very nice! I love black spoked rims with a polished lip

Comment

Always nice to have the tools !!

Comment

Thanks Qckslvr, that's exactly what I was planning to do with my rims this weekend, now I know it will look good
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I came real close to painting mine the same way. Sure would have been easier.
          Took me a couple hours per wheel.

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

It's really a hard decision for me. There are 3 choices.
            1. Paint the wheel all black (what I originally planned)
            2. Paint only the spokes black with a polished lip like Qckslvr
            3. Or just bring the wheel back like it came out of the factory like what Octain is doing

Decisions, decisions...

Post up a picture when you put the wheels back on the bike. I really want to see it when it's done
            Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2010, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              I came real close to painting mine the same way. Sure would have been easier.
              Took me a couple hours per wheel.

They do make 1/4" tape, ya know...
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

ya they do make 1/4 inch tape its called fine line really easy to streatch it tho

Comment

Nice subtle change with only the lip being polished. Since you posted this, I guess you don't mind people copying you????

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                    They do make 1/4" tape, ya know...
                    Yup, lemme know how that works out for ya.
                    It would still require trimming to be perfect.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

First to do the spokes I wouldn't have used 1/4 fine line but 1/8" and edged both sides. Sure it would use more, but beats razoring.

I like em more this way, slightly more modern look. I was thinking of painting them white with a polished lip or solid white with Marvic decals stuck to them. Don't think I would fool any one though

Feel free to copy them

Comment

Originally posted by Qckslvr View Post
                        First to do the spokes I wouldn't have used 1/4 fine line but 1/8" and edged both sides. Sure it would use more, but beats razoring.
                        Oh, I don't know about that.

We painted the wheels on my son's bike. Masked off the lip and painted the rest without masking. Next day, used a single-edge razor to scrape the paint off the edges of the "spokes". Worked very nicely.

Sorry, no pictures of the wheels on the bike.

Not long after putting them on, we traded the wheels for a set of wider wheels off an '82 1100.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can also spray the spokes, wait 10-15 minutes for it to tack up and just wipe off the edges with a rag tightly around your finger tip dipped in lacquer thinner. There's easier ways than doing a lot of masking and trimming. It's always worth it no matter which way you choose.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

this is probably not what your after, though its just an example of masking. I didnt know what to do with the rim like everyone so here is the end result... matt black spokes and a metalic flake edge with gold pearl clear coated.

Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2010, 04:05 AM. Reason: smaller pic

Comment

Wow! DIG that chainguard! I love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X