My 78 GS750 slowly getting done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 78 GS750 slowly getting done

So some of you have asked for pics of the old beast. And here they are with before pics.

The first day I rode it to work as I picked it up from the original owner

Here you will see the bungee cord holding on the seat. That is all that was holding the seat on, no pins, no bolts, no nothing. Notice the Kawi taillight lens duck taped on.

Yup thats a zip tie holding the GS550 tank on.

How it sits right now

This is a work in progress. Mainly I need to get to work on it . This list of things done.

-Front Suzi brake master (rebuild kit from Suzi as well)
    -Left front caliper
    -Front pads
    -Fork top bolts
    -Forks cleaned drained, re-install springs in proper order.
    -Clubman handle bars
    -Clutch lever from GS750, instead of cheesy plastic dirt bike lever
    -Headlight assembly (old one was smashed hard)
    -Emgo headlight mounts (again smashed)
    -Rebuilt instrument cluster (all the bushings were missing inside, it flopped around)
    -Found a 78 GS 750 Tank, no rust!
    -Found a rear cover (not a GS750 but heck it fits!)
    -Proper tail light lens
    -Lollipop lights
    -Repaired several burnt wires, missing fuse, both handlebar controls rebuilt
    -Throttle cables, and throttle tube (only had one cable and it was broken at both ends when I got it)
    -Side covers
    -New intake boots (carbs fell of on second test ride)
    -Rebuilt carbs
    -Reset the timing (way off)
    -Discovered it has points from a Yamaha in it, that have been cut and made to fit. They work!
    -NGK spark plug boots.
    -New Avon Roadmaster 100/90-19 front and 120/90-18 rear
    -Rebuilt header and repacked muffler.
    -Welded in missing tank support

That is where it stands right now, this winter it will get torn down again and painted white and blue, with a nice Café theme. Might even chop the tail down shorter, and change the seat to a café style seat. Got the bike for $300, and have added an extra $900 to get it where it is. I probably could have bought a good GS750 for $1200, but I doubt I would have had the fun.

Thanks go out to Brendan at Bike Bone Yard, Chuck in Sacramento from Craigslist(parts), tweaker in Concord that sold me the PoS, various E-bay vendors, Z-1 enterprises, my local Suzi con-artist/shop, and of course the great support, resources, and members of this board that have supplied me with parts and help.

More to come
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2010, 02:50 PM.

How are you finding those cafe bars?

Comment

Originally posted by Seanie View Post
      How are you finding those cafe bars?

I like them, I haven't had any problems with them yet. But then again I used to ride GSXRs so these are a very natural feel for me. I got them at a bike shop in San Jose, CA.

Comment

Awww yeah... Just look at those freshly painted rims. I really like that... I think I gotta do that to my wheels. You don't mind me copying right?

Man, you did a real good job with the bike. The rear end, exhaust, everything. More motivation for me

Do you still have those old handlebars though? I'll take them.

Comment

Nice...but are those Avon Roadriders you mounted? Any signs of cracks? Interesting lic plate....

Comment

Avon roadriders with cracks??
            I ordered a pair for my 750 and havin them fitted the weekend.

They crack??

Comment

dunno what it is on here about road riders and cracking sidewalls. they're used really often in the uk and never seen this issue...

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                Nice...but are those Avon Roadriders you mounted? Any signs of cracks? Interesting lic plate....

Well the tires are only 2 weeks old, I would hope no cracks LOL. But I have read it was limited sizes (not mine), and they have since resolved the issue.

The License plate is genuine, but is actually from my RD400. It is the wrong number set and color for a 750cc bike. But most don't know that

Flamming Chainsaws: The old bars are not genuine Suzuki, they are Answers. PM me with a zip and I can tell ya how much to ship them to ya.

Comment

Working...
                X