Redid that seat and rear fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redid that seat and rear fender

I redid the rear fender on my GS550E. It's from an L, and I lowered the profile a little and also lowered the rear of the seat (from an unidentified Yamaha) for a tighter look and more comfort, and moved the turn signals up to the front fender mount bolts. Also, those $75 aftermarket shocks had punishing springs, so I replaced them with my old original Suzuki ones.

Okay, I tried to attach a photo, but it's a mystery. It's on my album, but I don't know how to make that visible, either.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2010, 06:32 PM.

I noticed you stated that your bike came with a "L" rear whel, what is the difference? I, too, have fork gaiters added to my 78 550E. You did a ggod job adding the chrome rear fender. To finish off your look you should consider adding a set of spoked wheels.

Comment

That looks real good. I've always liked the look you have come up with. To me it looks classic. Job well done.
      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

It really look like a ,70s bike.
        marc
        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

To me it is reminiscent of early 70s-era road racers.

Nice.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

nice job. looks good clean

Comment

Some resemblance to a mid-sixties Britbike-I like it. Nice trim lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                I noticed you stated that your bike came with a "L" rear whel, what is the difference? I, too, have fork gaiters added to my 78 550E. You did a ggod job adding the chrome rear fender. To finish off your look you should consider adding a set of spoked wheels.
                THe L rear wheel is 17" in stead of 18" for the others.

Comment

nice.

can I see a pic from the back? Id like to see what setup you have for the plate and stuff
                  ---Eric

Comment

Another view from the rear

It's the basic $14 eBay taillight. Works well, but the plate bolt holes don't match American plates, and the light housing is plastic, so I don't know how durable it will turn out to be.

I'd move the light up toward the seat, but this is what you get when you use the existing 550L bolt holes.

The mini-signals came from Hong Kong, and work well, but require a no-load flasher (another $12). I mounted them with thin aluminum plate from the fender bolts.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

cool, thanks!

Im trying to choose what tail light/signal setup to use on mine. Thinking about an intergrated unit that has tail light/brake light/turn signals all in one.
                      ---Eric

Comment

Nice! I did the same thing to my 77 550...

glad to know im not the only one who desired the look of the chrome rear fender. I was surprised to find that the L fender bolted up pretty much near perfectly. That seat you used looks like the perfect match, A really great job! I am attempting to build a real low profile, minimalist seat but have it remain comfortable and useful. So in other words, i have my work cut out for me!

What did you use to plug the frame tube exposed at the rear? Looks like we cut our rears off at near identical positions.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2010, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mapball View Post
                          Nice! I did the same thing to my 77 550...

glad to know im not the only one who desired the look of the chrome rear fender. I was surprised to find that the L fender bolted up pretty much near perfectly. That seat you used looks like the perfect match, A really great job! I am attempting to build a real low profile, minimalist seat but have it remain comfortable and useful. So in other words, i have my work cut out for me!

What did you use to plug the frame tube exposed at the rear? Looks like we cut our rears off at near identical positions.
                          I plugged he frame ends with plastic plugs/caps from the hardware store. Cost about 79 cents.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, how did you mount the Yamaha seat? Did you use the stock hinges?

Comment

Originally posted by mapball View Post
                              thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, how did you mount the Yamaha seat? Did you use the stock hinges?
                              It took a lot of thought. I tried to use the hinges, but couldn't get a good fit. The Yamaha seat is a little narrower than the original GS, but fits nicely over the frame, so I cut the hinges and latch off the frame and mounted the seat with a tab under the rear of the tank and a thumb bolt through the rear fender. I centered the front of the seat and blocked the front up 1/2 inch with plywood, and the rear rests on the frame and the rear frame cross brace.

Comment

Working...
                              X