550L seat comfort (or lack thereof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550L seat comfort (or lack thereof)

Now that I have The Flame! running the way I want, I am riding greater and greater distances (rather than riding short "diagnostic" runs...) Of course, more time in the saddle highlights the deficiencies of said saddle (big time) and I'd like to do something that will allow me to do more than 100km at a stretch before having to take a "butt break".

That said, a key concern for me is seat height. I am short and can just barely flat-foot the bike now, so I don't want to add anything (like an Airhawk, for example) that might raise me. I have noted that some have shaved the foam on the stepped portion. That would remove the "locked in" feeling I get on the seat now. How much of a difference in comfort would that change alone make? Are there any other ideas?

The seat on my 750L was a torture device....I removed the cover and shaped the foam to be more concave. This would lower your seating position some and maybe make your footing a bit more stable.

Although more foam seems to the logical option, it's actually the shape of the seat that really makes the difference. The more it can be shaped to the contour of your rear-end the more comfortable it will be.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

How did that affect the fit of the seat cover? I've got a gs650gl and have the same problem. Any pics?

Comment

Shine it up and trade it for an E.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          The seat on my 750L was a torture device....I removed the cover and shaped the foam to be more concave. This would lower your seating position some and maybe make your footing a bit more stable.

Although more foam seems to the logical option, it's actually the shape of the seat that really makes the difference. The more it can be shaped to the contour of your rear-end the more comfortable it will be.
          Thanks, Larry. I thought that some of the discomfort I was feeling was due to the fact that I am stuck in one position on the seat (i.e., can't move my rear around at all). Your solution would seem to exacerbate that "locked in place" feeling. I was wondering if a flatter seat (LESS concave) would be more comfortable. But if you really found it made a difference, I can try it. Yours is certainly a good solution in terms of keeping a low seat height.

Also, I was wondering if the covering material makes a lot of difference. My seat was re-covered by some PO and, while the material seems good quality and is in good shape, it is quite smooth (no stitching, grooves or seams). How much of a factor is that?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanm View Post
            How did that affect the fit of the seat cover? I've got a gs650gl and have the same problem. Any pics?
            Not to much difference in the original covers fit. Perhaps a bit more loose, but, I didn't shave any from the sides which kept the cover tight. Again, I was trying for being more concave. Looks good, I think.

Originally posted by Kerry View Post
            Thanks, Larry. I thought that some of the discomfort I was feeling was due to the fact that I am stuck in one position on the seat (i.e., can't move my rear around at all). Your solution would seem to exacerbate that "locked in place" feeling. I was wondering if a flatter seat (LESS concave) would be more comfortable. But if you really found it made a difference, I can try it. Yours is certainly a good solution in terms of keeping a low seat height.

Also, I was wondering if the covering material makes a lot of difference. My seat was re-covered by some PO and, while the material seems good quality and is in good shape, it is quite smooth (no stitching, grooves or seams). How much of a factor is that?
            As far as the cover goes, you really just need one that breathes to keep your butt from sweating to much....ewww, that's just gross.....I read here that someone replaced an "L" seat with one from a Honda CM400, if I remember right, and reported that the flatter seat was much more comfy.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I think it's the position you sit in which is a factor of the style of bike it is. The cruiser style puts you in a laid back position, putting most of the weight toward the rear of your rear, or your tailbone. When I had my 1100L, I mounted some forward pegs really low. The lower position of my feet caused my whole body position to rock forward taking a lot of the load off the tailbone. It helped. But, most definitely, my G seat is way more comfy.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                I think it's the position you sit in which is a factor of the style of bike it is. The cruiser style puts you in a laid back position, putting most of the weight toward the rear of your rear, or your tailbone. When I had my 1100L, I mounted some forward pegs really low. The lower position of my feet caused my whole body position to rock forward taking a lot of the load off the tailbone. It helped. But, most definitely, my G seat is way more comfy.
                Good point. The bike style does make a huge difference. As far as the "L"s go, I've never heard anyone say that the seat is comfortable to them.

I really like the seating position of the "L", it, in itself, is comfortable to me...the seat however needs something to make it rideable for more than a few hours because the weight is on your butt.

I rode bwringer's VX800 over the winter when both of mine were down for some maintenence. It had a more forward leaning riding position and after a few hours my wrists and shoulders were a little tired.

For me, I'd rather have the weight on my butt than my arms and hands......maybe I should eat a salad.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                X