How to 'smooth' paint out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to 'smooth' paint out?

I borrowed a mates SV1000 for a trip that my 750 wasn't up to and managed to give the paint in the rear a good scratching with the panniers and am now trying to clean it up so that I can return it in the condition that I loaned it in. I am working with spray cans as I have no better facilities at hand. I managed to do a pretty good job on the tank of my 750 doing the same, but it was matt black and this gloss black seems a lot harder to get really even. I have done about 6-8 coats and am now wondering how it is that I get it uniform and hopefully as close to the original finish as possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Angus

Me personally wont EVER "borrow" anyones bike..thats just me. If it were me i would just man up and tell him what happened and let HIM DECIDE whats the best course..after all it is HIS bike and he should be afforded the opportunity to have it returned the way HE expects..This is just my opinion and not a slight or conviction of you in anyway..just to be clear here!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sand it smooth and clear coat? I think there is a painting tutorial linked off the main page here. You can do a pretty good job with rattle cans but I agree with Chuck, you aught to tell your friend if you haven't already... I'd buy him two beers first.

/\/\ac

Comment

If I lent someone my bike and it got damaged then I have to bear some of the responsibility but you should both decide on an agreeable way to handle the issue if there is even an issue.

If the person that I lent the bike to tried to cover up the damage with some cheap rattle can paint , I would be pretty ****ed as that is uncalled for.

What would make it even worse is that it sounds like the original damage might have been easily removed by simply buffing it and retaining the original paint quality albiet somewhat thinner from the buffing.

I think you should back out of those efforts and let the guy that lent the bike know where you stand. He will find out one way or another rest assured. And if it is in 2-3 weeks later when the cheap rattle can clear bubbles from getting some gas on it he will really be ****ed. I would be.

On the other hand if you really want to fix it professionally, take it to a shop that can color sand it and spray an quality clear over it. That is not nearly as expensive as a new paint job.

Comment

take it to a body shop and have them do it u can have it back in a day and should be under 100 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by crazypaint View Post
            take it to a body shop and have them do it u can have it back in a day and should be under 100 bucks

AMEN. No rattlecan paint belongs on a vintage or modern bike.

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
              AMEN. No rattlecan paint belongs on a vintage or modern bike.
              Bah! I can get rattle cans of PPG paint made up for about $12 a can and they feel twice as full as a normal can. Would this be the way to go for an immaculate restoration or insanely detailed custom, no probably not. But if you can get a pretty darn good looking finish from even store bought rattle cans on a daily rider, why not? Put a coat or two of quality clear over that store bought paint and it'll last for years.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                Bah! I can get rattle cans of PPG paint made up for about $12 a can and they feel twice as full as a normal can. Would this be the way to go for an immaculate restoration or insanely detailed custom, no probably not. But if you can get a pretty darn good looking finish from even store bought rattle cans on a daily rider, why not? Put a coat or two of quality clear over that store bought paint and it'll last for years.

/\/\ac
                I think the issue is cheap paint not PPG out of a rattle can.

Comment

There is nothing hidden here and if I can't do it to the standard that he accepts then I will get it professionally done, I just wanted the chance to do it myself first. And no I won't be borrowing anything any more from anyone, especially if it is nice than what I have to begin with!

And you guys are right about the quality of the paint, I think I was kidding myself to think that rattle can would hold up as well in the long term. I will check out a pro for prices, but as for under a hundred bucks, there I think I will be lucky, things are a little more expensive here
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Unless the PPG is catalized urethane, its just cheap rattle can paint. And I agree, I'd be seriously pi$$ed off if someone rattlecaned my bike.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Beaver View Post
                      There is nothing hidden here and if I can't do it to the standard that he accepts then I will get it professionally done, I just wanted the chance to do it myself first. And no I won't be borrowing anything any more from anyone, especially if it is nice than what I have to begin with!

And you guys are right about the quality of the paint, I think I was kidding myself to think that rattle can would hold up as well in the long term. I will check out a pro for prices, but as for under a hundred bucks, there I think I will be lucky, things are a little more expensive here
                      if all you did was dull the clear coat without deep scratches to the color then most likely some high speed buffing would take out the dulling and make the suface even beter than factory. You need to take it to a professional and see what they can do. The main problem now is the 6 coats of rattle can. That needs to come off without damaging the original finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaver View Post
                        And you guys are right about the quality of the paint, I think I was kidding myself to think that rattle can would hold up as well in the long term.
                        I don’t think people sometimes give advise through actual experience more like third hand conversation, as with this instance…

If a person’s opinion is that “rattle cans” is of inferior quality then they lack experience and sufficient talent to accomplish the said task… its not the computer here it’s the user…that’s just my opinion!

Below is a picture of a bike I still own first attempt at 2-tone painting ALTHOUGH!

Blue and red on the tank and cosmetics (not the frame) as you can see are quite mirrored finish and very smooth........well sorry to disappoint people… there done in that dreaded “RATTLE CANS” that everyone is describing and laid over 3yrs ago, still looks perfect today! The white base is done with “proper technique” if you wish.

Its better than ALL of my mates paint jobs and most ones on the road for that matter, that have been attempted at home with professional spray equipment, Most people would be happy paying a spray painter to achieve this quality and have…
                        I did this to see if it would turn out ok with “RATTLE CANS” and to do some 2 tone practice, and the result well…………let you decide I’m happy….

I will say this (from experience)…bonding too and A grade finish is NEVER an issue you can achieve 100% results as its all in the preparation…. BUT! I feel it will be difficult to colour match the paint correctly, not even with 2-3 cans of the same product as I experienced!…………

Comment

Originally posted by GEE-S View Post
                          I don’t think people sometimes give advise through actual experience more like third hand conversation, as with this instance…

If a person’s opinion is that “rattle cans” is of inferior quality then they lack experience and sufficient talent to accomplish the said task… its not the computer here it’s the user…that’s just my opinion!

Below is a picture of a bike I still own first attempt at 2-tone painting ALTHOUGH!

Blue and red on the tank and cosmetics (not the frame) as you can see are quite mirrored finish and very smooth........well sorry to disappoint people… there done in that dreaded “RATTLE CANS” that everyone is describing and laid over 3yrs ago, still looks perfect today! The white base is done with “proper technique” if you wish.

Its better than ALL of my mates paint jobs and most ones on the road for that matter, that have been attempted at home with professional spray equipment, Most people would be happy paying a spray painter to achieve this quality and have…
                          I did this to see if it would turn out ok with “RATTLE CANS” and to do some 2 tone practice, and the result well…………let you decide I’m happy….

I will say this (from experience)…bonding too and A grade finish is NEVER an issue you can achieve 100% results as its all in the preparation…. BUT! I feel it will be difficult to colour match the paint correctly, not even with 2-3 cans of the same product as I experienced!…………

SO YOU TURNED A GS INTO A HONDA
                          freaky!

Comment

working with rattle can paint to get a good surface finish can be done. One trick/inconvenience is that you have to let the paint cure. Most rattle can paint never really cures to the level of a good two part paint, but it will get pretty hard after a week or two (maybe more or less depending on coats), then you can buff it.

If you try to buff it before it sets you are just going to destroy it. The question is, can you hang on to your buddies bike long enough to let it cure.

Not to lecture, but I would recommend getting your buddy's bike pro sprayed, unless he has no problem with a rattle can job.

Also, I can feel where you are coming from. I had to borrow a buddy's sportster last year due to an electrical problem leaving me stranded at his house. Long story short, but I sent it skidding. I had to replace a brake handle, fix a foot peg and rebuild his risers. You wouldn't believe what a harley parts dealer wants for a stock sportster brake handle. They are pretty proud of themselves, that's all I can tell you.

Comment

Working...
                            X