GS850L Handlebar Swap Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L Handlebar Swap Out

Any suggestions for swapping out the buckhorn handlebars on an 850L? I can't stand feeling like I'm operating a rototiller anymore. I was considering a "stock" set of bars off of a G. Anyone else done this? If so, did you swap out all the cables for the shorter ones from a G (or other model) or just put up with the extra yardage somehow?

Not sure on what all you need for the swap out but if they are in good shape and you would like to get rid of your bars let me know. I am in need of a new set for my 1980 850gl.

Comment

I swapped my L bars (have two sets of buckhorns in the garage now) for 1980 G bars off my parts bike just recently. I didn't have to shorten any cables, everything fit up fine.
      The pair of buckhorns are different though, the '80 bars are wider and slightly larger overall. The other buckhorn bars are from an '82 and are narrower and smaller overall.
      The G bars work fine on my L as do many other G parts I've put on there.

Comment

The cables can be rerouted. move the clutch cable to the outside of #1 carb, instead of between #1 and #2. The throttle cable will just bulge out to the front a couple inches more. Try to keep the brake lines downhill all the way so they can't trap any air bubbles when you're trying to bleed them. Replace them with parts from a G model if they wear out.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X