helmets?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helmets?????

ok guys and gals what do yall think im wanting to get a new helmet this weekend and dont really know what to go with .I just got my bike 1980 gs850gl and in TN.We have helmet laws but i don't know what to go with .... half ,full.3/4 just don't know lol and don't want to look like a tard for wearing a helmet that doesn't go with the bike i have so any help would be great

Helmets are for protection, not fashion statements. I suggest a full face helmet in a visible color (not black).
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by jtrip View Post
      ... i don't know what to go with .... half ,full.3/4 just don't know ...
      In the event of a mishap, how much of your face do you want left? Half, 3/4, full?

My personal choice is full-face, and it happens to be black. To help counter that, it has a couple of reflective stripes on it.

Brightly-colored helmets certainly aren't going to hinder your conspicuity (your visibility to others), but I don't think I have ever noticed a bike because of the color of the rider's helmet.

I have had helmets in white, silver and black. I can't say there is much difference in internal temperature that could be attributed to the color.

Last edited by Steve; 07-23-2010, 09:02 AM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think you're going to find that everyone here will recommend a full face helmet. Get one that fits snugly, but, not to tight. Color.....whatever fits your fancy, brighter colors will help you to be seen better.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

steve,
          you make a good point i want a full face lol thanks guys i think i will go with the full face but now i got to pic one out. just didn't wanna look funny every one around here rides crotch rockets or harley no one rides a bike like mine and crotch rockets have full face.. harley's have skid lids so i was just
          Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2010, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Lighter helmets not only are easier to see, but they're cooler in the summer as well. White reflects a lot of heat....

Comment

Originally posted by jtrip View Post
              steve,
              you make a good point i want a full face lol thanks guys i think i will go with the full face but now i got to pic one out. just didn't wanna look funny every one around here rides crotch rockets or harley no one rides a bike like mine and crotch rockets have full face.. harley's have skid lids so i was just
              Don't worry about how you look, worry about protecting your brains.

Look funny, who cares ?? Life is not a fashion show......
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I started out with a 3/4 thinking it would be cooler (temp) and better visibility than a full face but even with a spitfire short windshield added the wind bothered me too much. I went to my local bike shop and tried on full face helmets from four different mfrs and the best fitting one turned out to be the same model I use for snowmobiling so I just bought the summer lens for it and now have a dual purpose helmet. It's comfortable, fits well, and offers the best protection. In Mn we don't have a helmet law (yet) but I don't ride without it.

Comment

I have a half, a 3/4 and a full face helmet. The helmet I wear depends on what and where I will be riding. Not "everyone" on here will tell you to wear a full face helmet, it is your choice! However, a full face helmet does offer the most protection in the event of an accident.

"We avoid dangers in life only to arrive safely at death."

Comment

just like Maddog, i also have all 3 types. The difference in riding experience is highly drastic from half to full.

Hands down you cannot go wrong with a full face helmet. I wouldnt worry too much about looks. IMO a full face helmet is always in fashion no matter what bike your ride. I do all my serious riding or testing always on a full face helmet as well as standard commuting. I am a proponent of full face helmets.

With that said, I also really enjoy having the option of a 1/2 helmet and there are benefits to a half that you can never get with a full. Visibility and presence of the world go way up! My favorite part about that is that you can hear every nuance of your machine. I think a big part of what makes a good rider good is when that rider is in tune with their particular machine and seeing, hearing, feeling... all those things matter. Bottom line with half helmets though are that they are not as safe as a full face. Its a choice you have to make, but its not unlike the choice to ride a motorcycle in the first place as opposed to driving car. One is safer, but one is more enjoyable. much more i should add

So, my advice would be to go to a store and try a bunch of helmets on and see what works for you. Keep in mind that different brands offer different quality. Im certain that there are some full face helmets that are not any safer than a half! Finally I would say to get a helmet thats comfortable because an uncomfortable helmet is a distraction from riding.

Comment

According to the Hurt Report (named for the author, ironically) about 1/3rd of all motorcyclist head impacts are in the front, low around the jaw area.

My wife was concerned that she would feel claustrophobic in a full-face helmet. I got her to try one on, and she wasn't quite comfortable. Then I started slapping it around the chin area, and she got it. She feels safe in there, now, not confined.

If you're new to riding, you're going to start hearing the phrase "ride your own ride". It means you don't let perceived pressure from other vehicles or riders or anyone force you into riding beyond your abilities or what is generally safe. What helmet to wear is the same deal. If you think you need a full-face helmet to be safe, then don't worry what others might think. Ride your own ride. I think anything less than full-face looks dorky anyhow.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                      X