Bedlinered gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedlinered gas tank

My GS1100L came with an ugly tank, badly dented, and the finish was in rough shape. Last week, rather than just picking up a petcock, I also grabbed the tank it was attached to. The finish was pretty poor on that one, too, but it was dent free. I didn't really care about the finish. I already had it in my mind that I was going to refinish it - with pickemup truck bedliner.

I'd post a how-to, but it was really easy - just taped over the stuff I didn't want coated, then followed the instructions on the can. I sanded the whole thing with 180 grit sandpaper, scuffing it up and removing the bits of clearcoat that were flaking off. Then I gave it 3 light coats, waiting 5 minutes in between. It went on quick, and I'm happy with how it came out.

The surface is more rubbery and less rough and abrasive than I'd expected. This is good, actually - I hadn't wanted it so rough that I'd be wearing through my pants where they touch the tank. It's simple, and combined with the unpainted side covers I think it looks rather bada$$.

Now if I can just get it running right, I'll be all set...

Nice idea, but you are not the first to do it.

Forum member "Dogma" got a bike with the tank and sidecovers done in bedliner.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Will the tank rust at all after the application?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Will the tank rust at all after the application?
        Certainly not from the outside.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hehe. Thanks for handling that for me Steve. At least now I know it can be applied smoothly, so I can try another tack on the dual-texture ideas. Sometime after I get the charging fixed. For the record, I think I like the smooth finish better, cosmetically. But I never have to worry about the scuffing the rough...
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            At least now I know it can be applied smoothly, ...
            Different brands have different textures.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the application on your bike, it's just the way that brand goes on.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Different brands have different textures.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the application on your bike, it's just the way that brand goes on.

It came with a roller that the PO said gave it the texture. If you just brush it on, maybe it will self-level.

Zook1100, did you sand it smooth?
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
              X