A new taillight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new taillight

Got this from Mike's XS. It's their "Brit" taillight. Nice, solid chromed steel with rubber mounting pad and license bracket that actually fits American plates. By the way, this is a '78 GS550E to which I mounted a Yamaha seat and 550L rear fender, among other things.

Looks pretty good. But I am wondering if the Yamaha seat was a simple process. Was it easily bolted on or was a little modification necessary?

Comment

Nice and tidy. I notice you have drag bars too, how do you find them?

Comment

Great looking taillight, do you have a link? BTW, I would be happy to take that UGLY exhaust of your hands!! The rear fender swap really looks great!

Comment

Nevermind about the link, I found it....

Looks like he carrries nice items.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
            Looks pretty good. But I am wondering if the Yamaha seat was a simple process. Was it easily bolted on or was a little modification necessary?
            It was pretty simple, but took some thought. The seat fit well over the frame, but was too narrow to retain the hinges and latch, so I cut them off the frame and mounted the seat with a tang under the tank and a thumb bolt up through the rear fender. I don't think a thief would know where to look for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Seanie View Post
              Nice and tidy. I notice you have drag bars too, how do you find them?
              They are Tarozzi clip-ons from Fastfromthepast.com, which also sells rearsets. They come in several versions and clamp sizes, with different risers and offsets, and are adjustable for angle, which I wanted. Very good quality. About $120.

I did have drag bars on there, but they were so low that the master cylinder interfered with the triple clamp, and I had to ride with the brake lever cocked up too high for my taste.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                Great looking taillight, do you have a link? BTW, I would be happy to take that UGLY exhaust of your hands!! The rear fender swap really looks great!
                Thanks. Your 550 looks just like the one I had from '79-'83. I rode about 3,000 highway miles behind a Windjammer fairing, then converted it back to stock, with black rectangular turn signals and a quarter fairing like yours.

Where did you get those nice fork boots?

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
                  Where did you get those nice fork boots?
                  I ordered the boots from the local Triumph dealer. They are stock T-100 boots that I had to get a little creative with because the upper diameter of the boots are larger than the 550 tubes. I was able to secure them and overall I like the way they look. Thanks for the compliment on my 550. I have a few more things plannned........

Comment

Love your work Bob .. I know what I'll be doing to my GS550 this summer!

Comment

Working...
                    X