Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 750 wind protection advice....

Hello!

I have only put on about 50 miles on my GS, I am a new rider that has taken the MSF course. Im not sure if its my lack of confidence, the bike itself, or if it really is that harsh riding above 50mph... I wear a full face helmet, armored jacket, and jeans and I feel like im going to get thrown off the bike! Is this normal?

I plan on riding my bike to work but its mainly highway, at around 45mph I feel OK but once I pass that 50mph mark I just dont feel safe. I dont like the look of the big windshields (except on big cruisers), and the look of the small meiar fairing is OK. Are there any other options out there for wind protection? I want something that goes with the beautiful lines of the bike, not something thats an eyesore.

Anyone with any advice, and or pics of what they use on their 750 would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

My guess is you still have the OEM bars which put you in an upright position so you fight the wind. You can either change the bars for a better position or get a small windshield to keep the wind of your chest. National Cycle or Slipstreamer make some smaller windshields that are pretty popular. Here are a couple of pics of the Spitfire shield on an 850.

Slipstreamer is a leading windscreen installation for powersports and police & military face shield supplier. Contact us for quick quotes.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Thank you for your response. Yes I do have the original bars, I was considering switching them out for the daytonas, as I am about 6'1" so I figure that may be a little more comfortable. I just worry that I will somehow mess something up when switching out the bars, something like the cables needing to be shortened or having throttle problems.

That shield looks good on your bike, wonder how it would look on the older 750 though.. anyone have that one on my model bike? I tried searching.

Comment

When I started riding my 450 it didn't have a windshield and I only wore a 3/4 helmet. The upright position made the wind a real problem so I added a small spitfire windshield and now wear a full face helmet and don't have any problem with the wind. The windshield is very small and doesn't block everything but is enough to direct most of it over my head.

Comment

Hey SkubaSteve, as a new rider myself I know exactly where you're coming from. My 650 is the only bike I've ever ridden so I have nothing to compare it to. I can tell you this from my own limted experience.

I changed out the rear shocks and front fork springs to stiffen up the suspension. My original stuff was waaaaayyyyy bad. That helped a lot. Then I added some superbike bars to put me in more of a lean forward position. That also helped a lot. The bike handles fantastic now, and feels much more stable at speed. I still feel it drift slightly to the left every time I'm at 55 or so. I may have a steering head bearing binding slightly. Not really sure yet.

Since you only have 50 miles on it, (I don't know if you've ridden anything else) I'd suggest just getting in as much practice as you can. Where I live there's a lot of wide open roads with next to no traffic with 50 mph or so speed limits. Any chance I get I head out and just go. Every time out I feel a little more comfortable.

High wind still freaks me out a little. Especially since around here wind is never steady. I'm always leaning into it, then straightening back up, then leaning the other way, then straightening back up. It's a pain, but two hours riding around in high winds I kinda got used to it.

Here's another tip I got from Nessism.. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...throttle+cable
          If you swap out bars you can reroute your cables, but it seems to be a temporary fix. Shorter cables are available.

Comment

Thanks again guys. Looks like I will look into the spitfire shield, I didnt like the looks of it at first but the more I look at it the more it grows on me.

I will also check into the bars as well, I am still nervous about messing with stuff like that as every time I try and work on something I tend to mess it up.

Truth-
            I have plenty of open roads by my house that I have been practicing on, thanks for the advice and tips.

Anyone else who has a pic of a windshield or fairing on their 750 please feel free to post up.

Comment

I'm picking up a windshield tomorrow for mine. Just to see how I like it.

Comment

here is my 82 650 with superbike bars...i couldnt tell ya what this type of fairing is called or who makes it but im sure someone else could...and yes its pink...lol...it needs painted

Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2010, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shibby_cbs View Post
                  here is my 82 650 with superbike bars...i couldnt what this type of fairing is called or who makes it but im sure someone else could...and yes its pink...lol...it needs painted

That's a 1/4 fairing.Had one like it on my 82 GS400E(Canadian).Think it's an Emego(sp)but there are other makers.Will look good when it's not pink.

Comment

Windshield came withf my 82 GS1100GL but took it off as soon as we took bike off pickup truck into my garage. If it fits your bike, would sell you the one I have. Not sure how much it would be for shipping zip 12203.

Comment

Uhhh, ... Jmanor, you do realize that you are offering your windshield to someone in a thread that is just over FOUR YEARS OLD???

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Maybe he still needs it? Lmao. Does it count that I was at work while on forum? Lol.

Comment

Considering that his current status is "Guest", he is no longer a member.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I do not understand how this kinda thing happens..
                            Resurrecting OLD threads with a recent post..
                            And I see it on other forums I frequent as well...
                            This is 4 years old..it had to be buried in the archives many pages back ..
                            Did it come up on a search ?
                            Or were you reading every thread ever posted in appearances?
                            Currently in the Stable :
                            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Only seems to happen to members with a very low post count, though.

I wonder what makes them so special.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X