X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe racer back-side

Hi all,
    I love the cafe racer look,

How hard/easy is it to re-do the tail of a GS to a cafe racer style? Is there much work in it? Whats the most important thing to watch out for when doing it?

I roll it around in my head, though Im afraid to go at it in case I would make a mess of it! And then I think I do like the original shape bike too.

Ive seen some pre-made tail & seat sections on ebay. Anyone every use one of these?

not to hard. There are a few places that sell fiberglass or aluminum seat pans. From there you cut the tail section of your frame off (shorten it) to fit the new seat pan. I have seen one where some one basically cut the back seat off there original pan. Then moved the stock tail section up. This might be the route I go later.

Here is one source for café parts.

Comment

Heh, this should be fun.
      First off my 850 was a 150 dollar pile of crap when I bought it, but it ran. If your bike is in decent shape I would advise you to find another bike to hack up.

Whatever you decide...Dont cut too much. You can always cut again. This applies to any cutting that may be required.
      I purchased a longer seat than I needed and cut a little at a time till I had the results I wanted. Had it covered by a local. I wouldnt recomend buying one already covered as tempting as it may seem.
      Oh, I also incorporated the OE seat hold downs(frame and seat), brackets and rubber pads into the fiberglass seat and welded threaded brackets towards the end of the seat for it to bolt to.

Also, its nice to have a bike you can ride while you're doing the work so ya dont get in a rush.
      Last edited by Octain; 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
      X