Powder coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder coating

So I've always loved the clean look and the durability of powder coated parts, be it motorcycle or otherwise but dumping $600+ into having someone else powder coat everything seems a little much. So I got this idea in my head that I wanna do it all myself once I get my bike running 100% (carb tuning is where I'm at) and make the few custom parts for the custom seat I'm going to get done. However looking deeper into what's required has me like probably many others stuck at the cost of an oven big enough to fit a bike frame.

So once again I'm going to do it my self and make the oven I need. So my question is: has anyone here built a powder coating oven? I found some plans that look great just wondered if anyone else has attemped this?

I do my own powdercoat. I have Eastwood's system. I use an old kitchen oven for smaller parts. I am thinking of getting an infared heater to do frames and big parts. I think I can pick up a used one around $250 or new $450 http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...ng-system.html

Comment

And I thought of the lamps but not sure if the cure would be the same quality as an oven. Also the oven would only cost probably around 200ish using some free parts. What gun do you use? Or what are it's specs?

Comment

Originally posted by MassJosh View Post
        I do my own powdercoat. I have Eastwood's system. I use an old kitchen oven for smaller parts. I am thinking of getting an infared heater to do frames and big parts. I think I can pick up a used one around $250 or new $450 http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...ng-system.html
        If you have the welding skills it is not hard to make your own oven. I have heard of a couple of peeps who have gone that route. They take two old kitchen ovens split one top and bottom, cut the top and bottom off the other put the middle of the one oven between the split of the other and walla....all the wiring is in the back and easily accessable and if you move the thermostat to the middle of the oven it should work fine. Only problem with this method is I don't believe it will be deep enough for frames. They were not PCing bikes they were using it for other metal work. They have used it with good results. I found these articles by browsing the I-net and have had a couple of buddies who actually did it. But if you can get on for $250 it might be worth it, especailly if it is deep enough for the frame. Just my $.02.

Paul

Comment

get it done proffesionally, saves all your hard work and expense, plus you get some sort of warranty on the finish. dont forget the parts have to be sand blasted first, then you got all the expense of the powder coat, the spray gun, then the oven.
          it dosent make economical sense to me
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Paint it . Powder coating is for poofs .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
              Paint it . Powder coating is for poofs .

Cheers , Simon .
              The durability of modern two part urethane and epoxy primers is excellent.

Regarding building an oven, sounds like a fun project but may not be worth it unless you are going to paint more than one frame. Maybe some other GSR members will feed you some work to help pay for the setup costs?
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Kapoor View Post
                And I thought of the lamps but not sure if the cure would be the same quality as an oven. Also the oven would only cost probably around 200ish using some free parts. What gun do you use? Or what are it's specs?

I use Eastwood's Original Hotcoat gun. I've done many parts with great results. Prep is 90%

Comment

If you take your time and prep properly you can get excellent results from a modern day rattlecan. On small stuff anyway...

Comment

Well I got a feeling thatt once I get the whole setup I got all of the rims from my motorcycle to my several vehicals, my bike frame and many parts( like all of them), any gs members frames(or any parts for that matter) that can get it to spokane.... I think i'd go powder coat crazy and do everything I could . So i'd get my use out of it I'm sure, amd costs of operation would be rather low. I think I'll draw it all out and get an idea of what it would cost me, but i'd also like to mess with that ceramic chrome, and other ceramics when I reuild my next bike (i' pretty sure this won't be my last build)

Comment

As with doing anything yourself, setting it up at first is the big expense. If, like you say, you'll get your money's worht out of it, then I say go for it. Sounds like fun and the satisfaction of having done it yourself is also worth a lot. Today's paint options are indeed excellent, but not as good as powdercoating.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Kapoor View Post
                        Well I got a feeling thatt once I get the whole setup I got all of the rims from my motorcycle to my several vehicals, my bike frame and many parts( like all of them), any gs members frames(or any parts for that matter) that can get it to spokane.... I think i'd go powder coat crazy and do everything I could . So i'd get my use out of it I'm sure, amd costs of operation would be rather low. I think I'll draw it all out and get an idea of what it would cost me, but i'd also like to mess with that ceramic chrome, and other ceramics when I reuild my next bike (i' pretty sure this won't be my last build)
                        Your idea is awesome as far as personall initive, but what do you do with the huge oven sitting in you're garage once you have powder coated your parts and you're done ?

I have a local shop do my misc powdercoating. It's a lot cheaper than most people think when you look at the bigger picture. My GSXR wheels were $110 ea, and my GPz's centerstand was $30. The finish is absolutely amazing, and you can't chip powdercoated components even with a hammer.....

Comment

I've been powder coating for over 5 years. A small bench sandblast cab, HF gun and a toaster oven started it all. Total outlay was < $150.00. Have moved up to a bigger oven (4'x8') , a better gun (PCS direct feed) and a much bigger blast system. By buying used and watching ebay, I'm still in under a grand. I've spent that on just one bike frame for paint restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
                            I've been powder coating for over 5 years. A small bench sandblast cab, HF gun and a toaster oven started it all. Total outlay was < $150.00. Have moved up to a bigger oven (4'x8') , a better gun (PCS direct feed) and a much bigger blast system. By buying used and watching ebay, I'm still in under a grand. I've spent that on just one bike frame for paint restoration.
                            a grand for a frame paint restoration? sounds a bit excessive
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                              The finish is absolutely amazing, and you can't chip powdercoated components even with a hammer.....
                              Give it a try, I dare you!

Powder coat is tough but it's not magic or anything. Like any finishing operation, the quality of the prep work makes a big difference in the end results. All the old rust/paint should be removed via sandblasting, the frame phosphate washed and baked dry, and important details masked off. If you want a killer durable finish I've read where applying a zinc rich primer coat is recommend, followed by a urethane powder top coat. Polyester powders are NOT as durable as urethane so details matter.

A local shop quoted me $450 for a frame, and additional charges for extras like the swingarm, brackets, etc. Not cheap. Contrast that with automotive two part epoxy primer and POR-15 catalized urethane top coat - cost me about $100 for materials. Not as tough as the better powder coats I've seen but better than the factory Suzuki paint, so good enough for me.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X