gs650l engine guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650l engine guard

i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a engine guard for a 81 gs650l. i'm having a really hard time finding one.

Darn, I have a set on my 650gl, bolted to the frame and stuff. There's a sticker there, but it's not exactly clear. I think it says Z1 enterprizes on it. might be a good idea to call them and check, what's on their website isn't everything they have for sale.

Comment

Could you post a pic pls, I dont know what an engine guard is, and if it would look good on my 650L

Comment

here is a close up on my engine guard, I put some 1/2 spacers and larger bolts on so the foot peg mount would not hit the case.

And you can see it from a bit further back in these pics.

Comment

OK, you beat me to the pictures.

I was going to say "click on the links in my sig to see pictures of engine guards. My '80 and my wife's '82 have them, my son's '81 does not."
          We have since added some to his bike, they just were not on there for the picture.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

where do you get all of yours? the only ones i keep finding are these and they dont really look like all the other ones i keep seeing

Comment

Mine came on the bike when I bought it 3 years ago, so not sure... however I would say get them for sure. Its a nice safety factor incase it does tip, also with the foot pegs mounted on them its great to switch riding positions on the slab.

Comment

Yeah. Those look great for a different riding position. I get kinda cramped on longer rides.
                Just need to find some now for a decent price.

Comment

I'm missing one side of guards from my 81 gs 650 and have looked at replacements. That ebay item doesn't look right because the two attachment points are not in same plane - it's hard to visualize but the 650s need the mounting points almost along a straight line. Skateguy50's look nice- plus the three tube is alot stronger. For your info, I've see lots of NOS crash bar sets on ebay for decent pricing, but I was unsure of fit.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I could pull one off for measurements but it is made to fit the frame for sure, the bottom mounts through a bolt hole in the frame where you have to hold a nut on the other side for the bolt, the middle has a threaded nut welded to the frame, and the top goes through a big engine mount bolt that holds both guards. When its off it wouldnt sit flat as some of the points set in more than others... but cant really recall where.

Comment

could some one give me a close up picture of where the engine guard mounts please? thanks

Comment

Sure I can get that, but probably tomorrow after the hurricane passes.

The first picture I posted shows the top two mount points pretty well, the top one is a large engine mount bolt that goes through a tab on the frame and the engine and connects to both sides engine guards. The next one down is a bit more forward and the bolt goes through the frame and is a threaded connection. The bottom one needs a better picture but it goes to the bottom of the frame through a hole, requires a nut carefully held in place on a small channel.

Comment

ok thanks and be safe

Comment

Working...
                          X