How to keep from oxidizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep from oxidizing

I see some great looking engines as a result of being soda or sand blasted. I'm thinking of doing this over the winter to a couple of engines. I was wondering if any of you guys who had this done used any kind of a clear coat to keep the aluminum from oxidizing. I'm assuming if there is a product out there it has to withstand some high temps.Can anyone suggest a good product to seal the new finish after media blasting and could it be used on engine covers as well as head,jugs and base?

Oxidation.

I've done a lot of research to find a suitable coating for the aluminum parts that I polish and have yet to find anything. I don't know what Suzuki used in the past, but it was probably the best available and yet it still got pretty funky after a while. The best thing to do is apply some metal polish like Mothers and do a light buffing. Since it has a petroleum base, it leaves a light coating.......at least that's what I do.

Comment

I had my engine soda blasted ('79 GS1000S) recently .
      Some of the alloy was "discoloured" and made the whole engine look like $hit . I was quite disapointed . I was expecting a "shiny" , even finish . It was VERY clean however . A following top end build revealed no "grit" inside the engine ( except around the points , because I didnt tape that bit ) . It didn't damage any seals or gaskets . I had my carbs done as well . In ONE bit . No grit in there either . I just taped all the openings with masking tape .

I painted it with VHT and AM happy with that .

I bead blasted my forks and got a good finish that I dont treat at all . I did them 4 years ago but they still look pretty good . Dull , CLEAN finish .

Of the two , i think I like the bead blasted finish better but it's much harder to keep this grit out . I be stripping the engine after , for sure .

I'd consider the paint though , following soda blast , rather than a clear .

Be care full though . Once you flash these engines up , you'll want to put them in flash bikes . And then , you'll want another ,,,,,,,,,,,,, and so the addiction begins .......................

Cheers , Simon (addict) .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by crazy canuck View Post
        I see some great looking engines as a result of being soda or sand blasted. I'm thinking of doing this over the winter to a couple of engines. I was wondering if any of you guys who had this done used any kind of a clear coat to keep the aluminum from oxidizing. I'm assuming if there is a product out there it has to withstand some high temps.Can anyone suggest a good product to seal the new finish after media blasting and could it be used on engine covers as well as head,jugs and base?
        I used Glasrit clear on my engine some fifteen years ago and the paint still looks wet. Just about bullet proof.
        1980 GS1000E

Comment

I used POR-15 Glisten clear on some polished parts and they look good. Not sure about long term durability on engine parts though.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I used POR-15 Glisten clear on some polished parts and they look good. Not sure about long term durability on engine parts though.
            I have not seen a bit of yellowing on my wheels in two years of course that not at engine temp

Comment

I had some Lotus rims powder coated by a guy in Forest Grove, OR. He does clear too. I would like to try that.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

On my engine parts that I have polished I just use Mothers Polish..I dont think theirs any good coating availible..wouldnt make sense really to me..isnt polish an alcohol or thinner based material...and wouldnt any clear coat not stick to it? It gets to be a pain in the ass to polish the engine covers etc after awhile when they do start oxidizing and looking kinda dull.

DDM

Comment

I used Krylon clear coat, and it looked great for about 3 years, then the finish started wearing off. A big issue for me is I store my bikes covered in my shed over the winter, and the cold nights and warm days causes a lot of condensation which corrodes the heads of all the bolts. I now just spray a light coating of WD40 all over the chassis for the winter storage period, give the bikes a good cleaning come spring, and this method works good.

Comment

Coatings

I'm a little apprehensive on trying Glasurit 924 or Glisten until I can get some data on their resistance to heat. I guess actually calling the manufacturers is the best thing to do.

Comment

Yeah I had the engine for my Lamborghini clear coated with some Italian stuff in a blue can...worked wonders.

I will look at the can when i get home tonight.
                      Al Jones
                      82 Suzuki GS850GL
                      97 Suzuki TL1000S
                      "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
                      Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
                      sigpic

___ -\
                      (O)--(O)

Comment

Clearcoat

I've been doing some reading on clear ceramic as a coating for polished engine parts. It looks like it sprays like regular paint from an HVLP gun and is good to 2000F. Has anyone tried this. I'm leaning toward giving it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
                          I'm a little apprehensive on trying Glasurit 924 or Glisten until I can get some data on their resistance to heat. I guess actually calling the manufacturers is the best thing to do.

To my knowledge there isn't any hi temp clear coats that can withstand dead on engine heat. I use ceramic based engine paints on my engine restores. The paint is designed to be initially heated up, and then cure. The coating is very durable.

Comment

VHT makes a miriade of engine colors and clear that withstands dead on engine heat up to..If i recall correctly.. 500 degrees or so..its on my 750 engines and havent had any problems. If your engine ever hits 500 degrees it really doesnt matter if the paint will hold up or not!!!!
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-27-2010, 12:31 PM.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Glasrit

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
                              As mentioned previously mentioned I used glasrit clear on my polished engine cases and it has held up far better than the factory paint. Like I said it still looks wet and is really tough.
                              1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X