Ammunition boxes fitted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammunition boxes fitted...

I hadn't done this because I had an issue with exactly how to mount everything, but after I ditched most of the stock plastics and seat there were a couple of tabs available that made it an absolute breeze...I had these on my CX500 before and this bike was so much easier.

The boxes were $20 each. The angle irons are for universal bracket fabrication...you can get scraps from just about any fabrication joint for free or buy a stick for $20. Bolts are cheap. I'm still going to put a bracket together to mount the boxes to the pillion pegs. I may go back and make some adjustments to move the boxes further back to free up the rear pegs but I don't ride doubled up anyway.

Anyway...they're crazy sturdy and the whole project is pretty cheap...plus they're weatherproof and air tight. Downside is that they are heavy and there's no lock.

Yay me.

Don't mind my garage...cleaning...a messy garage seems to get far messier in order to clean it...

Comment

Not my cup of tea, but I'm digging them. Can you post a pic from the rear?

Comment

I can probably manage this evening. I still have to get a lower bracket fabbed up and do some clean up.

Comment

Congratulations !! You can now carry just about anything you need on your bike. Thats why I own a truck .
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I don't own a truck

I don't like to have them on all the time...it's like riding with a pillion; the weight's all different and the bike handles heavier. However, it is nice to have them on trips. There's something to be said about being able to carry all the tools you might need...including a collapsible swingarm stand.

I have to make a trip to Dallas this coming week...it's about a 6 hour trip. Being the space will be very appreciated. When it's back to commuting...three bolts and they're off.

Comment

Nicely done Makenzie!
              I had a smaller set of 9mm boxes on my bike for a while, great for storage!

You can get locks for ammo boxes, or you could fabricate your own.

Here's a link for a NATO style 7.62mm lock setup(the same style box as yours).
              Ammunition Canister Lock Box: Create a inexpensive lock box out of an old surplus ammunition canister. Most ammunition canisters used by the military are made of thick steel with a lever closing mechanism. They are generally waterproof and have removable lids. This makes them i…

Here's a nice easy way, just use a threaded eyelet bolt(or make one), and drill one hole, bolt it on, and grab your padlock, cause you're ready to go!

I had a set of this style of lock bars for my boxes, but if I were to do it all again, I would use method #2. The bars added extra weight, and required foam backing on them to keep them from rattling around a LOT.

I am sure you can get them locked up lickety split.
              I hope this helps, and keep up the great work!

*EDIT* - My boxes seemed to "flap" when going over rough/bumpy terrain, I recommend making sure the lower bracket is very sturdy, and keeps the boxes from being able to swing inward towards the wheel. To be fair though, I carried 20 lbs of tools in one of them, and that was the one that really moved around.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Those will sure hold a lot of ammo!

jk

Put a sidecar on that puppy and you would be set.

E

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                  Those will sure hold a lot of ammo!

jk

Put a sidecar on that puppy and you would be set.

E
                  How about a sidecar with a pintle mount!

Now that could be fun.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

WOW...just in time for hunting.

Comment

Working...
                    X