/78 GS550 - Re-mounting my clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/78 GS550 - Re-mounting my clocks

I don't know whether these pics will come through, but I'm trying to find a lower profile mounting for the speedo and tach, short of pulling the assembly apart and mounting just one dial. How does this look so far?

Clock Remounts

Looks good..........looking to do something similar with mine. What type of bars are you using? Is that a stock seat?

What part if Chicago? I am in Crystal Lake.......northwest burbs.

Tim

Comment

Tarozzi clip-ons from blastfromthepast.com. I just re-mounted them above the top clamp again - better riding position and angle. I've attached a photo below - take a look at my albums, too. The seat is from a Yamaha 650.

I'm in Naperville. I've had this GS for a few months, and have worked out most of the mechanical issues. Hope it proves to be reliable. See my album for more photos.

What are you riding?
      Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Hey Bob, what is the rear guard off. It's extremely unusual to see a chromed guard on a GS. they were usually on the GT models. Looks good though.

Comment

It's from a 550L, like the front guard. Fits pretty well, although I drilled the rear mounting holes 3/4" higher to get a lower profile, and mounted them through holes drilled through the frame. Rear wheel is also 17" like those of the L .

(Sorry, in my previous reply, I though you were talking about the chain guard)
          Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM. Reason: Misunderstood your question.

Comment

My Ride

ChicagoBob,

Here is a pic of my current bike.....1978 GS550e. Looking to do some mods over the winter.

Tim

Comment

i might be mistaken, but im 99% sure that a 78 gs 550e has wire wheels and disk brakes only in the front...

Comment

You are correct, KitKat, but Suzuki also offered "E" models with cast wheels and a rear disk brake, and an extra front disk on the 750, maybe others..

Comment

I believe the E designation on any of the 8 valvers meant the bike would be equiped with discs, alloys, and a stepped seat.

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat View Post
                    i might be mistaken, but im 99% sure that a 78 gs 550e has wire wheels and disk brakes only in the front...
                    1978 GS550E's came with cast wheels, a stepped seat and rear disc brake. This information is easily found on the web. I happen to have a 78 E model 550 with the above mentioned items.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tnjmurphy View Post
                      ChicagoBob,

Here is a pic of my current bike.....1978 GS550e. Looking to do some mods over the winter.

Tim
                      I have the same bike and color combo. Look at my photo album for a few ideas for yours. I had my stepped seat shaved down and re-covered, I added fork gaiters from a Triumph T-100, Clubman bars slightly rotated down to allow room for the EMGO fairing. I also added Napolean bar end mirrors and drilled the baffles on the exhaust for a deepertoned exhaust note.

Sorry for the thread jacking chicagobob, you know I enjoy seeing the mods you have done to your bike. The relocation of the gauges look good.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Hey ChicagoBob,

I gotta say I too am a fan of your work thus far! I want a clean look up front but have been hesitant to simply discard the stock speedo/tach on my '82 750. How'd you mount those suckers so low? Did you do some custom machining on the clamp?

Also you said you mounted the Tarazzi clip-ons higher than the mount? How so?

Comment

Glad you like it.

I used those custom headlight ears from Mike's XS or somewhere, and mounted the clocks using 1"X2" pieces of 1/8" aluminum bent at a 90 degree angle and drilled for the mounting grommets (3/4" hole), and bolted the other end of the angle with the headlight ear mounting bolts. The aluminum is easy to bend and drill.

I had cut the gauge mounting ears off the top triple clamp, to try to get the gauges closer in and the clip-ons farther up, and it worked. I had to trim the plastic gauge surround (where it says "ignition") to fit around the larger diameter bottom of the ignition switch. It actually snugs right up under the square part of the ignition lock. Seems sold and works well. Take a look at the close-ups in my album.

The clip-ons are now mounted above the top triple clamp (after I slid the forks up an inch or so). I had tried them below the clamp, but they were too low for me and couldn't be angled back far enough, due to interference with the tank at full steering lock.

The only tricky part is rerouting the cables and brake line for the clip-ons, but I used the stock clutch cable routed around the right side of the steering head, up between the fork legs and over the top of the clocks.

Good luck with your project. The tinkering is half the fun.

Comment

Thanks, Dog. I'll take a look. I had almost exactly the same setup in '83 (low bars, black quarter fairing, bar-end mirror, plus "new" balck rectangular turn signals and GS1000 adjustable shocks (way too stiff). I had previously run a Windjammer and giant steel luggage rack/backrest, and really enjoyed the lightness of a naked bike.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X