Buffing Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffing Aluminum

so today i tried my hand at buffing my case covers as they are way outta shape. picked up a buffing motor from harbor freight. some extra buffing wheels, black, brown, and white compound... 400, 600, 1000, and 2000 grit sandpaper. first thing i did was progressively wetsand the cover with the wet/dry sandpaper... starting with 400 all the way to 2000 with wd-40. i then began the buffing...first starting with an agressive wheel with the black compound. this compound is used for removing rust, pitting, and scratches from the surface, i then moved to the brown compound with a medium wheel. i then finished up with the white compound with a light wheel and it turned out 100 times beter than i expected. almost looks as good as chrome...i cant wait to finish the other covers. what do you guys think?

well done!

Comment

nice sandals

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        nice sandals
        flip flops dude...this is the mid-west....its how we roll

Comment

its hard work but well worth it. polishing is easy to keep shiney, chrome is a bitch when it starts yellowing and flaking.
          you done a good job there, just all the other covers to do now!
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

HB has a new palm sized buffer thats nice looking. Hoping to pick one and see if its worth it.

Comment

WOW, that looks wicked, that bike is going to look super sweet, now I do hope you are going to finish it off nicely by turfing those fastners and replacing them with some shiny stainless allen caps? Or at least buff those up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                WOW, that looks wicked, that bike is going to look super sweet, now I do hope you are going to finish it off nicely by turfing those fastners and replacing them with some shiny stainless allen caps? Or at least buff those up as well.
                i was deffinately gonna do somethin with them...ill try polishing the factory fasteners just to see how it comes out but im also thinkin about getting some black allen caps...wondering how that might look

Comment

Nice work, shibby.
                  Remember, the black ground into your fingers will only take a week or so to go away.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Nice work, shibby.
                    Remember, the black ground into your fingers will only take a week or so to go away.
                    comes off in seconds with swarfega.......(other hand cleaners available!)
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      I have found that if you buff up the stock fasteners enough to get them to shine,
                      you have removed any protective coating they might have had, and they will soon rust.

Skip polishing the fasteners, go straight to the stainless ones.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

go to your local industrial abrasive supply house and get BLACK MAGIC rouge..will do that in one application it cuts off the crap and polishes at the same time..no need for sanding, pretreating, or sandblasting..OH..and to do the point and stator cover, first heat up the backs of the emblems witha propane torch and use the blade from a utility knife to get under the edge and gently pry them off the covers. You can get emblem tape or other adhesives to reapply themonce the covers are polished.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          comes off in seconds with swarfega.......(other hand cleaners available!)
                          Or ya can simply wear gloves.
                          Welding gloves work best.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            Or ya can simply wear gloves.
                            Welding gloves work best.
                            thats a good move, i use disposable gloves myself on a big job.(latex free)
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              thats a good move, i use disposable gloves myself on a big job.(latex free)
                              Yeah but what about the heat from the parts? Perhaps a bucket of water but that tends to be a bit on the messy side.
                              Sometimes I use just plain old leather work gloves.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X