Name this Lil' bike (not a suzi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name this Lil' bike (not a suzi)

A project that I have been working on in my "spare time", been more than 2-years from box of bolts to nearly done.

Have a look:

Going back together, NO Clymers for this one!

Starting to look like a bike...

Still needs 2000 grit and buffing, then custom decals that took nearly a year to get someone to do them...

More to come in the next week + -

Hope to have it on the road by this weekend.

OH, need one of my scoot to make it legal:

Dave
    Last edited by Dave8338; 09-03-2010, 12:19 AM.

Looks like a Magnum 2...havr to see the wheels...

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
      Looks like a Magnum 2...havr to see the wheels...
      FTW!! Nicely done!

Comment

I know that bike! It is a Puch. What he said. Magnum II. I had one about 14 years ago. Had a two speed automatic and would go about 40 or so miles an hour. Had a Bing carb. I found it at the local dump in the scrap pile, gas tank full of acorns and rust. Some tinkering and it ran great and was a blast. My son was only maybe 6 or so then and I would take him for rides on it. The gas tank made a fine seat for him. I had some kind of crossed looking mag wheels and a rubber dash that enclosed the speedo. Those were the days. Enjoy it! Wish I still had it but sold it when I moved. 100 bucks. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but a mistake just the same. Nice job you are doing. It looks fantastic. Alot of work but worth it for sure. Fun bikes to the max. Peace
        Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2010, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 83-1100-laverne View Post
          I know that bike! It is a Puch. What he said. Magnum II. I had one about 14 years ago. Had a two speed automatic and would go about 40 or so miles an hour. Had a Bing carb. I found it at the local dump in the scrap pile, gas tank full of acorns and rust. Some tinkering and it ran great and was a blast. My son was only maybe 6 or so then and I would take him for rides on it. The gas tank made a fine seat for him. I had some kind of crossed looking mag wheels and a rubber dash that enclosed the speedo. Those were the days. Enjoy it! Wish I still had it but sold it when I moved. 100 bucks. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but a mistake just the same. Nice job you are doing. It looks fantastic. Alot of work but worth it for sure. Fun bikes to the max. Peace
          Ahhhh..a fellow PUCH rider!!

This is not my bike but rather, a restoration for a good friend.
          Slow and painful, but taking shape!

I have a local car show in mind. Hope Garrett thinks the same...

Comment

Hi,

Yep, as soon as I saw the engine I was going to say "Puch". Really, I was.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I was gonna say an old Bultaco. Nice little project.

Comment

The bike was brought to me in pieces, literally. Broken piston skirt, scored jug, missing pieces/parts and not having been run in 15+ yeas. It has taken 2-years to locate NOS parts (mirror was the worst) and the decal nightmare was beyond ridicules!

What started as a little "fresh'n" turned into an "every nut and bolt" restoration. Time being what it is... the going is slow but somewhat relaxing, none the less.

Here is what the tank looked like, prior to getting started:

Comment

Good job! Restorations can have their bumps along the way but have great endings!
                  Now let's get a pod filter on that puppy and tweak the jetting juuuuust a tad and she'll fly!
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                    Good job! Restorations can have their bumps along the way but have great endings!
                    Now let's get a pod filter on that puppy and tweak the jetting juuuuust a tad and she'll fly!
                    Funny you mention that Keith...there are guys on the other side of the pond that put tuned exhaust, pod filter, HUGE 76cc big bore kits on them and run'em 60+ mph!

Last edited by Dave8338; 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Oh I believe it! There's no limit to what people come up with if they have some spare time.
                      I've seen a group of "mini-bikes" (for lack of a better word) around my town that ride anything from true basic mini-bikes to bikes that are like the Puch, but everything I've seen wizz by me must be under 100cc.
                      They look like they're having a blast! The first time I heard them coming I thought a bunch of angry bees were coming up the road.
                      A couple of us in our group were toying with the idea of getting Kawasaki 250's (the newer re-styled Ninja's) and starting a "club" but it hasn't happened yet. Most of us have various reasons for not doing it. Either not enough disposable income or no room for another bike or some of us joke that we'll kill ourselves zingin' around on these things.
                      But we can dream.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Nice bike.........

here's my puch:

Just slightly older than yours, I think. 1967 Sears allstate. Puch made in Austria.
                        1981 GS750L (sold)
                        1981 GS750L (current)
                        1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
                        1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
                        1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
                        1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
                        1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
                        1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
                        1980 GS1100L (Janice)
                        Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
                        e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                          Funny you mention that Keith...there are guys on the other side of the pond that put tuned exhaust, pod filter, HUGE 76cc big bore kits on them and run'em 60+ mph!

That things cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman001 View Post
                            here's my puch:

Just slightly older than yours, I think. 1967 Sears allstate. Puch made in Austria.
                            Nice little bike!! Allstate indeed!! They are a pile of fun. I have a 1967 Honda CT90 now that I am working on. I had a unknown year Puch Magnum a while ago too. Another super fun bike. There is alot to be said for these little buzz wagons. Cheap to run, easy to fix and best yet, FUN to ride.
                            Where did Sears lose the edge? From selling cool things like your bike to now selling Craftsman tools made in China...!! Oh, for the good old day huh??

Ride that Puch....er... Allstate safe. Keep it under 20!! LOL Peace all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                              Ahhhh..a fellow PUCH rider!!

This is not my bike but rather, a restoration for a good friend.
                              Slow and painful, but taking shape!

I have a local car show in mind. Hope Garrett thinks the same...
                              Where oh where did you ever find that decal?? Holy Smokes Bullwinkle, I mean, hard parts for these machines are like hens teeth. Custom made or some NOS in a barn in the foothills of northern Austria kept by an old former Puch employee turned cheese maker? When you get it all put together, you will HAVE to post photos of it. Wish I still had mine. Love the way it used to shift into second. Kinda of a sloppy slow slide into gear. Oh well. Good work and remember the photos...Please? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X