Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 1000 wheel question

Hi all

I am restoring a (GB) GS1000 and i'm currently working on the wheels, now they have been stripped blasted clean and am in the process of polishing the rims and spoke edges.

Now my question is the internals of the spokes are black but for the life of me I can't remember if it is matt or satin, its been a long time since I owned one, also I was going to acid etch and paint myself but which paint should I use, I not a great lover of powder coat.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

think (85%) there where satin and VHT paint would be my first choice.

Comment

Yeah I thought they were satin too just wasn't sure thanks for that Sharpy..

Comment

Wheel Paint

I've had great results with epoxy paint. Chain lube doesn't affect it at all.

Comment

They're not actually black if you're after a spot on resto (though satin black is pretty close). The closest colour I've found is a Vauxhall colour and it's either graphite grey or charcoal grey (I can't remember). Only available as a gloss I believe but you can flatten the paint off and it matches original.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Correct, they are not black, they are some weird, grey/charcoal/ leaning towards satin black, but not really, more gun metal type strange Japanese color I never seen before.
            I know, because I have been scratching my head over what to do with my wheels now that I am busy with the resto.
            Interesting point about the match to the Vauxhall colour, except we don't have any Vauxhalls here...damn, back to square one, although it would probably be one of our Opels.
            Ok, now to go stalking Opel showrooms, with GS wheel in hand, this should get interesting.

Comment

Ed (Nessism) did his wheels recently. Have a look at:

Put any information that you have to make your bike look great in here.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Them wheels look awesome but which finish would YOU choose. Powder coat stove enamel or 2k spray paint?

Comment

Working...
                X