Wierd headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd headlights?

I got a good one...I'll try to get pictures up later today. I picked me up a D2S projector from an E46 BMW. The angel eye ring was busted and the headlight in general was smashed...so I snagged the projector for a song. Problem I encountered trying to use it was that the thing is 7" deep and 5.5" in diameter (housing, not the actual projector).

My only options were to use a modern-ish fairing, or to do something weird. Since a fairing would be weird anyway, I went with doing something weird.

Wal-Mart had some stainless steel food storage cans for $8 that fit the bill so I snagged one. I had to build a bracket to slip inside the can to brace my projector housing against, then I used a few windmill and motorcycle clutch parts for accents. A few pieces of neoprene hose made a great bushing to keep the whole assembly tight. The can's lid still slips right on, though I'm going to have to conjure up a way to keep it there...not quite sure on this yet. I'm also trying to find a way to get it mounted to the bike without mutilating the can. Using some giant hose clamps I got it mocked up...and it produces an awesome light pattern. There's a good cut-off to keep it away from oncoming traffic, and it gives plenty of light.

But now it looks like I have a 6X8 soup can bolted to the front of my bike. With some care, it could look pretty cool...I'm hoping to incorporate some of my art into it, but I don't know yet.

Anyone else got a hair to do something similarly weird?

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
    Anyone else got a hair to do something similarly weird?
    Hey Makenzie,
    I experimented with something kind of similar, but eventually went with a dual headlight setup.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

The problems I ran into were similar, too big, looked out of place, and I have little desire to slap a fairing on the front of my bike.

I really did enjoy the fabrication part of it though. I kept my different lighting rigs I made up so they can be used on future projects which they might suit better.

So, pictures???? I would love to see what you have come up with. I have a pretty good idea of what I think it will look like, and I just want to see if I am even close.

I love seeing mundane materials used in creative ways!

Comment

I read through your thread looking for ideas. The box idea was interesting....but it clashes with your gauges, to me.

I'll get some pics up here in a couple hours.

Comment

Took too long! It was dark so I lost a lot of detail...I'll try to get more in the a.m.

It doesn't look too bad...the bike in general looks terrible, but it's coming together. I need to find a way to get a few more projectors up, though...go for a sentinel look.

Comment

I really need to find a place for this thing, though...

Comment

It actually looks kinda cool. Maybe like a spotlight. You already had a headlight though. Is there a reason behind this?

Comment

Headlight sucked...bad, bad. I scored this D2S projector for a song and I already had the xenon bulb and ballast. This projector and HID setup produces 3x the usable light.

Comment

I like it!

Kinda gives the bike that freight train look!
                I love the ammo boxes, I had a couple on my bike until I really started digging into it for the redesign.

I take it the ballast is too large to fit behind your forks where the stock horn would go? Perhaps mount it using the stock holes for an oil cooler?Aside from there, I think you will have to come up with a unique mounting place for it beside/under the lighting rig.

Comment

I agree with Mac. Looks like a headlight off a steam locomotive. Cool as he!!.

Well done!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm thinking the ballast will have to mount either to the lower triple or under the tank. I have a LOT of figuring our for what to do with all the wiring and cables.

I like having the ammo boxes, but I need to conjure up a quick connect means to get them on and off...right now it's four bolts, but still 5 minutes. I need them for commuting, though.

Comment

I love it! With the combination of the clip-ons, mis-match fender, and ammo boxes it looks great to me. Definably unique and cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                        I love it! With the combination of the clip-ons, mis-match fender, and ammo boxes it looks great to me. Definably unique and cool.
                        +1, I always say make it your own!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Got some daylight pics. I put all the stock wiring back under the tank, and mounted the ballast there, as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X