Tach elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach elimination

Here's a photo of how my clock relocation efforts are coming along. I moved the ignition to the left headlight ear and the speedo here.

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
    Here's a photo of how my clock relocation efforts are coming along. I moved the ignition to the left headlight ear and the speedo here.
    Nice exersize in simplicity, even though I'm not sure how you ride without a tach.

I would want to put some type of design into the plate to make it look like it has some purpose other than just a cover. A tastful Susuki "S" perhaps ?

I doubt you would want to put any devices into it like Ed's recent review of an LED based voltage monitor.

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

Comment

Got to agree with posplayr, dunno how you ride without a tach. I can do without the speedo but not the tach.

Have to say though, it looks really nice and tidy.

Comment

I run my road bike without a tach right now.Sometime it only have a tach.
        maybe i,m use to it because of dirtbike.Here is a pic of my 1000l speedo with led idiot lights.
        marc
        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Looks good CB!
          Less is more.

Here's mine.

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

i really like the idiot lights, you just take the speedo apart and stick em in?

Comment

Looks great, Bob.
              I rarely use my tach while street riding. I shift by the sound of the exhaust, the feel of the engine/bike and my sense of my surroundings[wind noise, sense of speed, how the cars seem to getting smaller in the rearview]. I can certainly see it being essential on the drag or race track.
              Avoiding tickets, i need the speedo.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

i never look at my gauges unless im alone on the road, then i use my speedo. Gotta fly by feel.

Comment

I wired some Radio Shack indicator bulbs to the wiring for the original warning lights, which you can pull out when you disassemble the clock unit.

I'm still coming up with ideas for that panel below the speedo. Could hold the warning lights, or maybe a digital bike speedometer, if I use the original tach in place of the speedo.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Looks great, Bob.
                    I rarely use my tach while street riding. I shift by the sound of the exhaust, the feel of the engine/bike and my sense of my surroundings[wind noise, sense of speed, how the cars seem to getting smaller in the rearview]. I can certainly see it being essential on the drag or race track.
                    Avoiding tickets, i need the speedo.
                    On the track, I 'rarely' used the tach. I mainly went by sound of the machine, sight and feel.

In FAST ( a Canadian racing school), they cover the tach from 9000 on. This way you can not see the redline and have to use your ears.

Comment

Originally posted by boogerboy72 View Post
                      i really like the idiot lights, you just take the speedo apart and stick em in?

Yes,
                      drill a hole put the led and its retainer.i bought high lumenesity led, next time i will use the low ones.
                      Marc
                      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
                      X