Seat Pan Clip repair/replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Pan Clip repair/replace

Soon I will receive a new seat cover and that means its time to address the issues with the seat pan.

Firstly and most importantly, most of the clippy things have rusted off. There are a few ideas for restoring those.

The first is to glue some wood or ABS panels onto the inside edge of the seat pan and then staple the seat cover to that. As detailed here;

The second method is to buy some kind of clip and pop rivet them onto the pan... clips like this; (These are not available in Toronto).

image courtesy of bmac... here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...25&postcount=4

I suppose it would also be possible to punch out new clips like the OE ones, but that would require some special tools, I would think.

Does anyone have any other ideas? The first method seems challenging and the second method is unavailable (and seems more destructive to the seat cover then necessary).

On a side note, I also need to replace the rubber trim on the edge of the seat pan, anyone have any idea where to get those? or even where to look?

I too have rusted clips and if I use the stock seat pan I was going to see if it was possible to somehow get a thread on them and get some nuts on there, but not sure if that's a stupid idea or not.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

There's this way of doing it as well:

CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE REPAIR SEAT, HONDA 750 KAWASAKI Z900 SUZUKI GT750 YAMAHA RD250 or Any old motorcycle seat.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        There's this way of doing it as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbwPmNrcQKU
        Yeah I saw that as well, looks like a MUCH more expensive version of my option number 2.

Comment

For the rubber edging on your pan some bike shops have rubber fairing trim that will work. Alternatively you could get some rubber fuel hose of the right diameter and slice it open with a Stanley knife - I've used that trick in the past and it works ok, just a bit tricky slitting it dead straight.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

spiked strip for pan of seat....

hi guys,, its only an idea,,, BUT,,, there are products called pyde gang nails which i used to run the factory years ago ,,, and you could buy a 1/2 gang nail buy x amount long ,, ,,they are used to make framing a house cheaper...,, could be worth a look regards david

Comment

These are the clips that attach the seat cover right?

Don't most of the professional upholstery shops rivet the covers on metal pans?

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                These are the clips that attach the seat cover right?

Don't most of the professional upholstery shops rivet the covers on metal pans?
                Do they? Wouldnt that mean you would have to deal with ugly metal studs all around your seat?

Comment

No other suggestions? Is anyone maybe willing to get some of those easy gardener clips in the states and mail them to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                    Do they? Wouldnt that mean you would have to deal with ugly metal studs all around your seat?
                    The fabric is streached around to the bottom of the pan and rivited on the flat of the pan so they point up into the foam..

Look at this pic of a Corbin pan
                    They use aluminum rivets so they don't rust..

Comment

Im thinking to get this for the trim;

but its way more then I need and its more pricey then I expected for some simple rubber trim.

Comment

Working...
                      X