Paint Planning Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Planning Tools

Thinking about paint schemes to consider over the winter. Sadly, I have no Photoshop skills.

Does anyone know of any online planning software or templates that you can plug into standard paint programs (e.g, MS Paint) to spitball concepts? Something where you could plot stripes and patterns, mix and match colors, etc.

Even a basic line drawing pdf that I could print and color with pencils/crayons would help.

TIA

I have three bikes to paint, been thinking about stripes and things. I am going to use that Duplicolor Paint Shop stuff to see how well it works, sprayed with a touch up gun. http://www.jegs.com/v/Duplicolor/318 Can't see spending the money they want for real paint these days, not on these cheap bikes. Then a real two part automotive clear coat over it to make it resist fuel.
    Anyway, I bought a ten pack of electrical tape from HF for a buck or two, the cheap stuff with wimpy glue. Stick it on wax paper, cut it with scissors, peel and stick. Making stripes is easy, I cam move them around and re stick them, make them skinny or fat, use colored paper also to make areas of different colors. Then with a little bit of imagination I can see the end result in my head. They also have a multi color assortment of electrical tapes, it's about eight different color rolls in one package, that would work well too. The colors don't need to be exact to figure out the pattern you want.

Photoshop might be easier.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Are you going to do the stock colors or something else Tkent?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Are you going to do the stock colors or something else Tkent?
        Something else, not sure just what yet. Some cool stripes and things, maybe black silver and red in some combination.
        The 650 is first, it's all sanded, primed and almost ready to shoot.

Comment

I just bought paint last week. I'll be using the DuPont Chromabase and the DuPont Nason line of primer and clear. I was pleasantly surprised at the price. One pint of base was the most expensive, $43. I got that, a quart of clear and its catalyst, a quart of primer and its catalyst, and a quart of reducer for a little over $140. I probably have enough of each for two paint jobs. The base can be cut 50/50 with reducer. A half pint would probably paint a bike if you can get them to sell a half pint. I already have a jar of blue pearl and my decal set from Reproduction Decals. Now all I have to do is do it.

The Duplicolor paint TKent is planning on using looks like good stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post

At $22 per quart it's worth a try.
            I'll be posting some results.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              At $22 per quart it's worth a try.
              I'll be posting some results.
              Originally it's what I was going to use. I used to paint bikes with some rattle can lacquer that I think Duplicolor put out back in the early '70s. Worked great and with an acrylic lacquer over the top it held up fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                I just bought paint last week. I'll be using the DuPont Chromabase and the DuPont Nason line of primer and clear. I was pleasantly surprised at the price. One pint of base was the most expensive, $43. I got that, a quart of clear and its catalyst, a quart of primer and its catalyst, and a quart of reducer for a little over $140. I probably have enough of each for two paint jobs. The base can be cut 50/50 with reducer. A half pint would probably paint a bike if you can get them to sell a half pint. I already have a jar of blue pearl and my decal set from Reproduction Decals. Now all I have to do is do it.

If you need/want a hand, let me know. I'd be glad to help. Got a few years of paint and body experience and some SATA guns that could use workout

Comment

Working...
                X