Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GS450E owner, a little help here? Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS450E owner, a little help here? Please.

Hi everyone, I am the recent owner of a GS450E registered here in the UK in 1989. I dislike the look of the E model and wondered if you can fit the GS450/550 teardrop tank on as a straight swap?
    Also which twin disc front ends go on with minimal effort?
    Bike doesn't stand me in much money so quite happy to do the work. Got it running with a leaking forkseal, busted speedo and a blowing exhaust.
    Trying to build a little chopper, first attempt to any help greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    T
    Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM.

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place! I think there are some differences in the frame between them but don't know if that would cause a problem. I'm sure you'll get a reply soon from someone that knows for sure. There's some great GS450 builds finished and in progress around here so be sure to check them out.

Comment

I don't know what year your bike is, on the 83 GS 450s the rear mounts are totally different on the E model compared to the L and T models. The E model tank bolts are horizontal while the L/T bolts are vertical. Frame modification would be needed to switch tanks.

Comment

Have a gsx250e & bought a frame to use because mine was rotten , it turned out to be off a "t" ie custom model with teardrop tank & the tank mounts were in wrong place. I would think its the same scenario with 400/450.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! There's a bunch of twin owners around here although most of ours are from the 80 - 82 era rather than the late 80's.

As the others have indicated, usually there's some differences in the mounting between the tank styles, but it doesn't necessarily mean it can't be made to fit.

Some of the differences are as simple as moving the forward mounts a bit which should be fairly easy if you're handy with a welder (I'm not).

Anyway, good luck and feel free to put up a pic or three coz we all like to see pic's here.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and advice so far. I apologise if I upset anyone by chopping this bike, but if I am honest the only good thing I can find on it so far is the engine, its a little rotter but that suits just fine, better then it going to the scrap man one day.
            Has anyone experimented with swapping wheels to spoked ones?
            Will get some pics up asap.

Comment

Man, I would trade bikes with you except you're in the UK.

Back when I had the GS850GL, I compared it to the GS450L. The front end of the GS850 should fit onto a GS450 no problem from the looks of it.

Welcome to the forum. And would you look at that. More twins

Comment

Mr Suzuki was good enough to use the same size steering bearings on all the GS / GSX / early GSXR's (up to 92ish), so front end swaps are pretty easy.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

you can get wire wheels if you can find them from some of the custom "T" models 250/400/450 , the rears are usualy 17" though , you could get it re-rimmed to 18" i suppose.
                  Originally posted by Squirrelracer View Post
                  Thanks for the welcome and advice so far. I apologise if I upset anyone by chopping this bike, but if I am honest the only good thing I can find on it so far is the engine, its a little rotter but that suits just fine, better then it going to the scrap man one day.
                  Has anyone experimented with swapping wheels to spoked ones?
                  Will get some pics up asap.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    Mr Suzuki was good enough to use the same size steering bearings on all the GS / GSX / early GSXR's (up to 92ish), so front end swaps are pretty easy.
                    They used the same size on other bikes also. I know a couple of guys that have used GS front ends on the Suzuki Savage/S40 for the mag wheels and dual front brakes.

Comment

Working...
                    X