Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handguards on a GS?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone here has put a set of Motor Cross type handguards on a their GS? I am looking for something to keep my hands out of the wind when it gets cold out. I've seen them on various dual sports and such but I'm just wondering if anyone's fitted them to a GS? Or any other bike for that matter and has some tips on mounting them.

Here's Ducati's version of them. I'm not looking for something quite so fancy with the folding bar end mirror and all. More concerned with the actual guard.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tim, here are some photos of my handguard as fitted to my '79 GS1000,they are off a Yam TDR250 but any universal motox guards should fit.I used the pins that hold in the brake and clutch lever and the cable ties are just to stop the guards activating the brake at speed.

Hope this helps.Johnny

Comment

You should be able to make V-Strom ones fit.... looks simple enough, you'd need to use bar ends.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have guards for the winter, check out the thread.

Comment

I can't give you an answer but I'm also thinking of putting some on mine, but not for cold weather. Partly it's because I think it would suit what I'm going for in terms of a Scrambler style, but partly it's also that I hope to be able to mount some bright white and orange LED strips on them to help visibility and make the lighting a little more horizontal than just the round headlight and small indicators beside it.

Paco, where did you get yours from? How useful are those mirrors on them? You have exactly the same 'bars as I do, although mine are all black.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hand Guards

I put these on last winter and I think they took 5 degrees off of to my riding limit (commuted down to about 19 I think , but only for a few miles).

Easy peasy to install, just like bar-ends. Got 'em from Twisted Throttle.

sigpic
            1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
            2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Paco those look great! Exactly what I was thinking about. Cool!

Do they deflect at all at speed, or are the guards rigid enough not to flex, even at triple digit speeds?

Either way this is definably something I'm gonna be doing sooner or later. It makes the bike look more modern and aggressive, especially on the low bars.

Comment

Hello,
                Haven't been on in a few days.
                To answere some ?'s

My handle bars are MSR Dominator alum. YZ low bend.

I don't recall were I ordered them from.

They are pretty rigid, didn't have any probs with flex last year, Don't know about sustained trip digit's, but short burst's no prob's I can recall.

The mounts to the bars are aluminum.

There are extentions that offer more coverage, but don't have any pics, sorry.

You can also pop out the upper portion for more ventilation when warm/dry out

The mirrors work well enough, I'd say OK, at least they see around your shoulders and elbows. They fold forward if you catch them as you walk past, wich is cool. They don't fold backward so no probs from wind.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                X