buffin' like a crazed maniac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my sisal from Grizzly
    Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.

This is the Airway

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      Not sure if it's a sisal, don't think so. I can't get proper wheels her in the Capital of the Province (go figure). I'm grabbing these from a rock hound shop in town. I was using red rouge on the thicker wheel with not great results, although I think the wheel became dirty. The white rouge on the thinner wheel works wonders. I had to replace the wheel once though due to it getting filled with dirt/grease. I'm cleaning things pretty weel and hitting them with either a brass wire wheel first or wet sandpaper, 400/1000/2000 yet I still wind up getting the wheel black. I'm trying to make sure I'm not using too much compound but obviously I'm doing something wrong....at least I think I am, who knows.......the end result looks shinny though and I'm havin' fun so I guess that's all that matters.
      KMS Tools on Island Highway in Colwood has wheels and compounds.Don't look much different than what you have but you might want to check them out.Those sisal wheels are really aggressive looking.I'm sure they blast through paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        I guess I knew what a sisal wheel is after checking. This is what I use.

cg
        Hey Charlie G,

I liked the set up you have so much I went out and bought one, at least the extension piece and the buffing wheels. I know I can find a motor somewhere for free. My question is how did you hook the extension to the motor? it looks like a drill chuck in there. Please enlighten. I want to clean up some parts without taking them off to avoid the never ending work that comes with stripping apart things and your set up looks perfect. Where can I see some more pics of your 450? there's a guy up here selling a 400 model for cheap and have been humbing and hawing about it.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

azr,

There are a few pictures of my 450 in my album. I added one other this evening. PM me if you need more photos of the bike. My first bike was a new 1977 GS400. The fast blue one with a front disc, gear indicator. Sold it to buy a used truck and not be wet when I got to work. Buffing set up below. These items I've picked up over time.

The first piece is the arbor adaptor. I picked it up first to use with a buffing wheel or grinding wheel. Match size to motor diameter( 5/8" or 1/2") and chuck thread (1/2"x20?).

I've placed the buffing wheel adapter( which is installed on the flex shaft, in my previous posted picture) on the chuck on the motor for this photo. It's ment to be used in an electric drill.

Buffing wheel adapter with wheel off. 1/4" for chuck and 1/2" thread to install buffing wheel.

Check the rpm rating on your flexable shaft. I wanted one which I could install on a 30.000 rpm router and the shaft was only rated to 4k rpm. I didn't try it for fear I'd melt it.

I'd recomend a 1/2 hp motor and one which you can reverse (swap wires around per labeled instructions) the direction of rotation. This one is probally 1930 vintage and 1/3 hp. I can stop it if I bear down real hard. 1725 rpm (I think).

I found that I had a old 4" sisal wheel and gave it a try this evening. I need to get some more rouge now that I know what the different colors are for. I've been playing with this stuff for 30 years and knew nothing about which wheel or what rouge.

Wish I could get a hold of a 8 valve 400 or at least the head. I have too many projects now.

Charlie G
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
            yes there is its inexpencive, it is a handle, with a wheel that has points all over it, google it youll see, maybe harbor freight has them
            screwdrivers can cut your pad be careful, the tool will last n keep it clean
            The guy selling wheels & rouge at the local bike show had them...I think it's called a rake....they recommend (carefully!) using a piece of hacksaw blade to trim loading off the wheel, if one doesn't have a rake.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Wheel Trimming

I use a metal dog comb.

Comment

Been a few days. The boy finished my sled tunnel. Did a real nice job.

Check out this how to polish link
                http://chromeshopmafia.com/how_to/machine_polishing_with_bar_rouge/

Comment

Wow, that is mirror finish. Good link too, thanks.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

This thread reminded me of an experience I had in college (no, not that you perverts). I was working on my senior project. It was a car that we were building for FSAE. It was a big deal and after spending many hours designing and prototyping an intake manifold, I spec'd it for a machine shop and they built us a one-off. It looked great and it was very expensive, but it wasn't perfect, so I decided that I would polish it.

I fired up the buffer and went to work. Well, I wasn't holding it as well as I should have been and the buffer wheel grabbed the manifold and shot it across the shop. Talk about pucker factor. My first thought was "I just ruined this part. I have to explain to my professor and the entire team that I am a dumbass". Needless to say, I got very lucky. The part was fine and nobody saw me do it . Close call though. I have had a great deal of respect for buffers ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                      ....and nobody saw me do it .
                      Always a good thing!

Comment

Anybody have trouble with thier wheel not wearing evenly? I just got a stiff cleaning wheel for cleaning all the grim off before I polish everything. I'm kinda new to this, and I put some emery on it and cleaned up a side cover a little bit, and when I turned it off, half the wheel is real dirty and the other half barely looks dirty and hardly used. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the wheel.

Comment

Not sure what set-up you have, but if it's not possible to use the width of the wheel evenly, flip it over when doing the next cover, then use a rake (or hack saw blade etc.) to dress it for further use.
                          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I'm using a bench grinder. I'm using the full width, and what you descibed is not the issue. It's not the width of it but the length of it that isn't wearing properly. I'm going to try dressing it and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X