No announcement yet.

Sanding Side Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd try to sand in a circular pattern next time as well.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
      I'd try to sand in a circular pattern next time as well.
      Why's that?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        If there are any concave areas then find something round ,wrap a piece of paper around it and sand that by hand. Above all don't just fold over a piece of paper and sand with it unless you are just going over it lightly. Block sanding if you plan to take off any significant amount of material.

After primer, make sure to sand the same way keeping edges sharp. I then like to do one or two passes over the edges all at once so I know they are uniform and have not been hit 2-7 time.
        Exactly!! Sanding with your hands can leave indentations in the substrate from your fingers. Big paint shop no no!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Why's that?
          In my personal experience, it's easier to sand out the heavier grit sandpaper's scratches when they are in a circular pattern.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
            In my personal experience, it's easier to sand out the heavier grit sandpaper's scratches when they are in a circular pattern.

I can see that although when I do my woodworking I do both directions (circular when using my orbital straight when using either the belt or by hand) and haven't really noticed a big difference. I'll keep that in mind for the next practice piece. THank you.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I can see that although when I do my woodworking I do both directions (circular when using my orbital straight when using either the belt or by hand) and haven't really noticed a big difference. I'll keep that in mind for the next practice piece. THank you.
              Two different tools,you would not put a belt sander on a piece of fine furniture. You could start a table top of sorts with a belt at the right speed and motion,but the orbital or a vibrating sander will tune it right in.
              81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Working...
              X