Fuel overflow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel overflow question

Well the bike has been sitting for a while and ive been doing my usual lurking and reading.

So the other day i decided to fire up the gs and let her run a bit, since shes been sitting for almost a month(yuck). Ticked over after a minute(longer then normal, figured cause its 17F out its going to start hard anyways...), CHOKE up, ran nice around 3K. Turned choke OFF and i smelled raw fuel and saw a puddle below the bike.

Now i never remember seeing this thing spit gas like this before, is this normal? have i just not paid attention to this all summer?

I have rebuilt the carbs as to this resource http://www.thegsresources.com/files/vm_carb_rebuild.pdf and everything is A-OK, ran like a top all summer. only thing i changed was lose the air box and switch to some home-made v-stacks(until i can afford pods, i actually used the air box-carb boots, looks badass) 100 mains, and needles raised at highest position.

Is this a normal operation? or am i going to have to f with the carbs some more?

ahhh crap. can someone move this to carb/fuel? i had the wrong section open in my browser. stupid.

Comment

Stuck floats or improperly adjusted. Did you measure them?

Whats with the RANGER portion of your name?

Comment

My beloved truck. haha. 1998 Ford Ranger XLT

*yes float height is correct
        Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2010, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Ah.
          Did you measure your float height? If yes>
          Fill a remote tank with fuel and if gas flows out of your carbs tap them on the bottom with a heavy screw driver handle to see if the floats are stuck.

When did you rebuild the carbs?

Comment

Can you please put the model of your bike in your signature? It helps people help you better.

If you are going to change to pods then yes, you'll need to f with the carbs ALOT more to find the right settings. But in the meantime, I'd check your petcock as well as your float settings again.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Can you please put the model of your bike in your signature? It helps people help you better.

If you are going to change to pods then yes, you'll need to f with the carbs ALOT more to find the right settings. But in the meantime, I'd check your petcock as well as your float settings again.
              I'm guessing its not his petcock leaking since he had no fuel around the bike prior to starting it unless fuel continues to spill out after the bikes been shut off for a while? Thats why I threw the remote tank idea out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                I'm guessing its not his petcock leaking since he had no fuel around the bike prior to starting it unless fuel continues to spill out after the bikes been shut off for a while? Thats why I threw the remote tank idea out there.

That might be so but this comment is what caught my eye:

So the other day i decided to fire up the gs and let her run a bit, since shes been sitting for almost a month(yuck). Ticked over after a minute(longer then normal, figured cause its 17F out its going to start hard anyways...), CHOKE up, ran nice around 3K. Turned choke OFF and i smelled raw fuel and saw a puddle below the bike.

Now i never remember seeing this thing spit gas like this before, is this normal? have i just not paid attention to this all summer?
                I'm thinking maybe the petcock was left on prime and forgotten about when he turned the bike off or the oring seal around the petcock could have gone bad. But you are probably right too and there's a float issue. Either way, the remote tank will help rule out or pinpoint the problem area.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Now that I think about it I had a similar problem when I forgot to turn my inline fuel valve off before I switched back to a petcock.

Raised needle to highest position... you raised the clip or lowered the clip to raise it? Where is the fuel coming from? It MAY also be fuel leaking out of the area the needle drops into due to excess fuel being drawn with the choke on if you raised the needle.

Remove the boot so you can see into carb # 1 and see the needle and have the bike on the side stand. Repeat what you did when it first began to leak fuel, if it drips out the intake side of the carb then your needle setting is whats causing it and you need to adjust the float height. If its coming from the overflow ports from the carb then you need to tap the bowl with a screw driver and if it still is flowing out then adjust the float height accordingly.

Comment

OK, we still don't know what bike you are talking about.

The only clue we have is that you "raised the needles", which means you might have a '79 or older (something) with VM carbs.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Im going to answer a bunch of questions at once.

-1979 GS550L (un-L'd) with VM22ss
                      -I do not have a PRI setting on my petcock.
                      -It will spill fuel out of the overflows while running.
                      -rebuilt carbs june/july. first thing done to the bike after purchase. with roughly 3K miles put on since then.
                      -fuel spills from overflows not out of carb throats.
                      -Needles raised so that clips are on lowest position on needle. bottom rung so to speak.

my bad, i guess all that is pretty important stuff huh? hah.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

I'm assuming if you dont have prime this is a manual petcock... but if so fuel would flow out of the overflows without it running? I'm so confused. Sounds like a float problem for sure. Did you store the bike with fuel sitting in the bowls?

Comment

Hey RangerDanger, go up to your User CP and edit your signature to include your bike. This way we don't always have to ask what you have and you don't have to remember to tell us what you are talking about.

Thanks.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Hi,

Overflowing Carbs

The above deals more with CV carbs but much of the information is applicable.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                            X