Using orignal paint as base coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using orignal paint as base coat?

Okay i was once told that if your original base coat is still in good condition as far as not chipped or flaked off, that you can sand it enough to get the clear coat off and rough up the paint and apply new primer to make sure it is all even and then paint it. Is this true or is it better to take it down to bare metal and start from ground up. I don't have any major dents or dings. I have a couple ver small spots that look like they were chipped off not a flaking off, basically a good solid base coat just weathered and I want it a different color. If this question has already be asked before i apologize but i spent a little time searching the appearance forum but did not find any thing pertaining to this. Thanks ahead of time.

Paul

ig u need to apply bondo to a dent sand that area with 320 then do ur bondo if not u can just use a red scotch bright and scuff it all up then just base and clear. just make sure before u paint it clean it with a wax and grease remover

Comment

Yes…

The original base is stable. You can just paint urethane over that if it's a solid color side to side. It's better to use a sealer over that sanded base, I'm doing that right now.
      You're changing color so you better seal it.
      Sanding down to the metal or plastic is a more anal thing to do.
      There's a lot more things to do for prep, but for all that info, you better buy a book. I highly recommend :How to Paint Your Car on a Budget by Pat Ganahl.
      Bill
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Removing the Petcock before painting

Okay to add to this thread, how much of a PINTA is it going to be to remove the Petcock and then when i try to put it back on is there anything I need to do to keep it from leaking or should I leave it on and just tape it off real good? Thanks.

Paul

Comment

I would drain the tank and remove the petcock. It's just two bolts. Might be a good idea to replace the gasket with a new one when re-assembling to prevent leaks.

Just for clarification, we are speaking of the factory paint that you want to use as base, right? If so then, the previous posts are good advice in my book. If it were a rattle can paint, then I would want to see that stuff get stripped.

Comment

Yes it was factory paint, I did pull the petcock the other night and the fuel level sender unit. Tank is ready for stripping/ media blast. Unfortunately the factory pinstrips are causing issues when sanding. They are gumming up the sand paper. I have tried peeling but I am doing more guoging then peeling i think. I had intended to go give it a good wet blasting last night, but my daughter ( who is six by the way) roped me into putting together a gingerbread house that never was done at Christmas. Joys of juggling family and projects. Problem is weather may prevent me from getting it done tonight. I am going to play it by ear. BTW I am going to continue this thread in my project thread.

Paul

Comment

In my experience the easiest thing to do is use paint stripper on the old paint to get rid of it. Use the high strength stuff that requires mineral spirits (paint thinner) to wipe off. It's messy as hell but just plain works. Typically you will see spider web trails of rust under the old paint which confirms that stripping off the old paint is a good idea. Use some 60 or 80 grit paper to remove any residue paint left over and rough up the metal before priming and bondo work. Tried and true method.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                I had intended to go give it a good wet blasting last night, but my daughter ( who is six by the way) roped me into putting together a gingerbread house that never was done at Christmas. Joys of juggling family and projects.
                Doing things like that with the six year old daughter is way more fun than painting an old motorcycle, enjoy it while it lasts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ed-
                  I plan on stopping by Napa on the way home today and picking up the strongest stuff they have. Then using a 4 gallon bucket I have at home to try and contain the mess. Snow is going to keep me from coming back in tonight.

Kent-
                  I agree with you, I don't regret the fun we had, and she lost her second tooth during the process so it only added to the fun. Just now will not be able to get to base tonight because of incoming weather. Oh well time to break out the paint stripper.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                    Ed-
                    I plan on stopping by Napa on the way home today and picking up the strongest stuff they have. Then using a 4 gallon bucket I have at home to try and contain the mess. Snow is going to keep me from coming back in tonight.

Kent-
                    I agree with you, I don't regret the fun we had, and she lost her second tooth during the process so it only added to the fun. Just now will not be able to get to base tonight because of incoming weather. Oh well time to break out the paint stripper.

Paul
                    What you heard about OEM paints is generally correct, especially the older car paints. It was hard to get the stuff off. However, I have seen so many GS gastanks with rust under the paint that I would trust nothing other than an A/C stripper strip down and acid etch.

Comment

Working...
                    X