What is the material on an 82 Katana seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the material on an 82 Katana seat

OK, I cannot seem to find this information anywhere, and yes I did do a search..

What material is the 1982 Katana seat cover made from?

Mine is too far gone, both in terms of cleaning and also wear to restore, so I have been talking to several local seat guys.

None of them seem able to match the fabrics so other than a suede material I am running out of options

Anybody recovered one close to stock?, it doesn't have to be an exact match mine is not going to be a show queen just want it pretty close to how the bike was in 82

Thanks

They have something at Joann fabrics around here that looked nearly identical to what's on one. I'll see if I cant find unless someone here gets it before I do.

Comment

Its a mock suede vinyl covering.

Comment

82 Kat Seat material

Ranger is correct, it is an imitation suede made from vinyl. There's a North American Classic Katana web site where I read that there was a guy in France that hand made and then recovered your stock seat and it was claimed to be virtually identical. If I recall, it was a bit pricey, but as far as I know, that's the only place I've ever heard of a good quality replica.

Of course, replacement seats are available from Suzuki, but they're not the same material or color - more of a blue on blue. I've seen the replacement seats sell on ebay for as much as $900, but you can get one from your dealer for about $400 (at least you can here in the states.)

Depending on the condition, the original seat can clean up very nicely.
        Scott
        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys I will be working on the local motorcycle seat recovering guys and keep a look out for a better one on ebay

There was a guy in the UK that does them off the Katana Central website, if it gets to be my last resort I will ship the seat over there

Comment

Have you considered pitreplica? they have an ebay store and I believe they are good.

Comment

You can get it professionally upholstered still, its not hard. Checkout online for materials.

Comment

NAWGAHIDE...They are a very small and elusive critters about the size of a hamster. They have very thick FAKE LEATHER like skins. It takes approximately 15 to make a cycle seat and approximately 200 to do the average car interior. They are highly intellegant and are suspected of being able to comprehend the human languages from all over the world. Thats what makes them so elusive..when they hear the NAWGAHIDE hunterts talking in the woods they can understand what they are saying and thusly avoid being seen or captured.. The seats and upholstery you see in cars are USUALLY the hides of the deaf NAWGAHIDES!!!!
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

had my seat coverered in black suede, £60 for the suede,£40 to fit it. top job though!
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by English Bulldog View Post
                    it doesn't have to be an exact match mine is not going to be a show queen just want it pretty close to how the bike was in 82

Thanks
                    no offense, but I consider the original seats the only UGLY part of these bikes (no accounting for taste right!)
                    Corbin did my seat without any direction... I was stoked.

Comment

Might this help?
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Winning bid $626!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to buy bikes for that money

Comment

Working...
                        X