Omni-Pak paint: any opinions or info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omni-Pak paint: any opinions or info?

So I may have jumped the gun... I've been planning to do a rattle can repaint of my tank & plastics, reading the wealth of info in these forums. One of the few places i found the color I was looking for was on ebay (link to item here). After I bought 3 cans of the stuff, I started reading more in these forums and wondered exactly what KIND of paint I had just bought. From what I can tell, Omni-pak is sort of an "empty can" (baisically propellant in a can) system, which re-sellers can fill with their own paint products. I asked the seller if he had any PDS or MSDS, but he never gave me a straight answer. He said that "any primer will do" and that these paints dried glossy, so there was no need for clear coat. I explained further that I was repainting my tank, to which he replied that they are not compatible with any clear, but still no specific info in the way of Product Data Sheets.
    So, I'm stuck with these $18.00 cans of "Enamel Blend" (that's what it says on the can) paint that I'm not sure will work with the 2k clear i've read so much about on this site.
    Does anyone have any more info about these paints? Any opinions about whether or not I should even attempt to use them?

Hey if it's sanded down and primed paint the sucker and see. I would wait for a bit before you attempt a clear coat for 1, to let the gas vent out of the paint 2 to see if it's glossy enough, heck you just might like it. If your worried about the msds, wear a mask, you already own the paint so go for it... If you don't like it, I bet you'll have some samd paper on hand....
    Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably go for it. Can't ride it right now anyway. Re: the clear coat: I think I'll still attempt it. Worried about gas/chem. resistance.

Comment

Yep, I say go for it, what have you got to loose, like the man says, you already bought the stuff.
        If you prep properly, you may be pleasently surprised, prep is 90% of the final finish, with a good buff and cut, it may be quite acceptable without the clear.
        Then maybe the clear bonds on with no problem, do a bit on scrap piece of material and let it gas out for a few days, then put clear and see what happens, that way you know before putting the clear on the tank.
        Good luck, let us know how it goes, and don't forget the pics.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about testing an a scrap, but the problem with that is the "pot life" of the 2k clear once it's been activated. I'd have to sacrifice a $20 can of the stuff. Not a lot in the world of automotive paints, but enough to concern me in my world of single-income family.

Comment

You are right, did not think of that, scrap that idea, I would not sacrifice the 20 bucks either.
            I am sure that those more knowlegable in the dark art of the perfect paint job will pop in shortly and shed light on the issue.

Comment

I am not an expert by any means but I agree with the thought of spraying and letting the parts cure then going for the clear. I would bet the cured base coat would not lift if left to cure properly.

You would at least see if the base coat is what you want. From what I've heard, not expirenced, you can take a tank sprayed with hardware store enamel and shoot it with the clear after its cured with no ill effects.
              GS Score Card
              4-400 Series GS's
              3-500 Series
              1-600 Series
              1-700 Series
              4-800 Series
              1-1000 Series
              2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
              sigpic

Comment

The Omni base is actually a good product. Their clear on the other hand, is JUNK.

Paint the base and if you can, let it set up for a week or two inside a room temp area. Then if you don't like the gloss or lack of it, you can do a light sanding with 800 grit paper, WET, and spray the K2 over the top of it. Shouldn't lift or curl the Omni base but you may want to spray the first coat on the tunnel on the bottom side of the tank.

Personally, I think you'll be fine. If you are at all concerned, bake the tank in the oven at 150 degrees for an our or two.

Comment

Yeah, i was thinking about making an easy-bake oven for my painted parts like Nessism did in one of his threads. While on the topic... where's the cheapest place anyone has found for the aerosol cans of 2k clear? It seems like the cheapest I've seen them is here for $18.90 plus $8.89 shipping. Anyone found it cheaper elsewhere?

Comment

Buyer support is a BIG help…

Originally posted by Skaat View Post
                    Yeah, i was thinking about making an easy-bake oven for my painted parts like Nessism did in one of his threads. While on the topic... where's the cheapest place anyone has found for the aerosol cans of 2k clear? It seems like the cheapest I've seen them is here for $18.90 plus $8.89 shipping. Anyone found it cheaper elsewhere?
                    Bummer, no buyer support from those guys. That means you have to do your own time and dollar consuming testing.
                    Rattle can prices are so close to professional paint like PPG Shop Line products too. I just decided to go for a nice spray gun and compressor. After all that hard work of sanding, it made sense to me.
                    However, adjusting a spray gun before spraying takes some care because it's easier to get wrong than right, but a rattle can is ready to go.
                    Bill
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The most durable paint jobs are done within the mfg'ers recommended recoat times. For the typical automotive paint that typically means spraying the clear within 24 hours of the base coat. When the paints are sprayed soon after one another they bite into each other and for a more homogeneous layer.

Regarding the situation at hand, I'd get there phone number and call them up to find out what kind of paint you bought. That's the only way of knowing what to do next.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nessism, I was afraid you'd say that. but judging by some of your posts on the topic, I'm sure you know what you're talking about. You'd think i would have learned my lesson about buying from shadowy ebay sellers by now. he just didn;t seem very forthcoming with the info I was requesting. I'll have to see if I can track down a phone number and give him a call. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Have you see this? http://www.kpg-industrial.com/produc.../enamel_blend/

looks like there are different omni-pak products for different materials such as Lacquer, Enamel, water based paints, ect.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yeah, I have seen that. What I have says "Enamel Blend" on the can. The only info I find for that on that says says:

"Omni-Pak® Enamel Blend aerosol cans come prefilled with propellant and are suitable for all solvent-based enamel paints."

So I'm back at my original problem: What did the place i bought these from fill them with?

Comment

“It's the Professor!”

Originally posted by Skaat View Post
                              Yeah, I have seen that. What I have says "Enamel Blend" on the can. The only info I find for that on that says says:

"Omni-Pak® Enamel Blend aerosol cans come prefilled with propellant and are suitable for all solvent-based enamel paints."

So I'm back at my original problem: What did the place i bought these from fill them with?
                              Are you having FUN yet?
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X