81 gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs850g

Right now I have a large fairing on front of my bike and full hard sadllebags with the top box.

Since I mostly ride around town and only sometimes go on longer trips here's what I am thinking. Get it all of, and mount the headlight with turning lights on front. Taking all the boxes off and getting a nylon tourmaster sadlebags that I could put on only when taking longer trips. Also adding a small winshield on front.

Questions:
    Do you think it would look ok?
    Can you suggest any windshilds out there?
    Most importantly : How do I mount lights and turning signals on front of the bike? Is there some standard mounting kit if I get some regular light
    off of jcwhitney?

Thanks for any comments or ideas.

Just leave it alone and take it on long trips more often, which is what the GS850 was designed to do in the first place.

If you go through with these changes, you'll miss the full fairing and touring equipment.

Alternative: keep the bike as it is and ride it more often on longer distances, and get yourself a GS450 or 500 for local stuff.

Just my opinion. I ride a lot, and value fully equipped touring mitorcycles like my GK.

Nick

Comment

thank you

I am still in school and I ride this bike on campus every day. I have hard time parking it and simply do not need any of the touring stuff.
      I do ride every other weekend for about 150 miles to visit my girl. This is just not enough to have a fairing on all the time...

Thank you for your suggestion but I would rather change the apperance of my bike than change my lifestyle.

Not enough money for another bike, but hopefully some day I'll have bandit 600 for everyday around town ride.

Once again Thanks for the comment

Comment

I was thinking more like simple winshiled than cafe racer style fairings. Just the see-through stuff...

thanks for the pics

Comment

Hi Toolman...I've a couple of GS850's...I like windshields. My first rig has a rifle sport fairing with their 6 screw held-on shield, an 18" model. Flaw is that if you torque any of the 6 screw too tight, you'll eventuall have a split shield from cracks...happened twice. I now install these shields with home made screw retainers I make from plastic. Recent bike I opted for National Cycle's Street Shield EX...no fairing; cost was about $135...including tax/shipping from California. Installs with no holes in shield...and removes, if you want if off, in a minute or so. Left and right supports from handle bars to indents in shield bottom you either like or don't like. However, not at all in your vision and not bad looking. Easy mounting I thought. I had a service problem and they instantly handled it for me with concern and class. Locate all info at national cycle.com. This shield is a bit lower than my rifle, but is a bit thicker (I like that). I give product a good rating. Install time (first time) about 30 minutes or less...National Cycle makes several other stylings specifically for the older GS Suzuki's...some less and some more $$. Good luck! Topshotbt

Comment

Take a hack saw to it....dump that ugly fairing.....

Comment

I am in the middle of doing just this. Unfortunatly this being my touring bike I am thinking about puting the fairing back on it. Unfortunatly the sadle bags already went to the dump so I need to buy new ones.

Comment

Re: 81 gs850g

Originally posted by toolman
                Questions:
                Do you think it would look ok?
                Can you suggest any windshilds out there?
                Most importantly : How do I mount lights and turning signals on front of the bike? Is there some standard mounting kit if I get some regular light
                off of jcwhitney?

Thanks for any comments or ideas.
                Answers:
                That's the way it came from the factory
                National Cycle Deflector screen. There's a picture of one here. It does a good job of keeping the wind of your chest, but does create turbulence around the middle of the helmet. National Cycle has taller screens too.
                Look on eBay for the stock headlight parts and turn signals. I would think you could get everything you need for less than $30. I have no idea if there is a universal kit out there, but if I was doing it, I try to find original parts.

Comment

Fairing Removal

Toolman:
                  I did what you are describing to my '80 GS850G and here are some things to watch out for.
                  Removing the fairing and bags isn't any problem and you should be able to sell them on this site or any motorcycle salvage yard if the units are in good shape. The motorcycle salvage yards and this sites "for sale " section will be a great place for parts. STAY with GS850G parts in, as near as possible, model years. 750, 1000 and 1100 parts are not the same!
                  #1. The head light shell/bucket will have ONE large hole in rear to run wire harness through. It will also have two special shaped washers/nuts (one for each side and inside the head light shell). The mounting bolts for the head light shell scew into these washers. There will/should also be two metal tubes/spacers that go over the mounting bolts as they pass through the head light shell. All of these components are a MUST HAVE for the head light shell and head light to stay in adjustment.
                  #2. A halogen 7 inch lamp can be purchased from Candle Power that will fit the head light shell perfectly.
                  #3. Trim ring for front of head light.
                  #4. Turn signal mountings, right and left.
                  That should about do it. If you watch the For Sale section of this site you may be lucky and find the parts or someone who is parting out your model and year. I've had great success with both of my GS's (850G & 1100G). But it can be done, although you may have to wait for all of the parts.
                  Good luck.
                  Bob Young
                  '80 GS 850G
                  '86 Concours

Comment

I am interested in the stock hard case sadle bags if you still have them toolman.

Comment

I too have the National Cycle windshield on my 82 650GL and I love it. It is not to big and helps keep a lot of the wind off of your chest. Easy on and easy off. I bought mine for $30 on ebay.

Mark

Comment

stripping fairing and hard luggage

I used to have a GS650G. I used a National Cycle Plexifairing on it, and BagMan soft tankbag and soft luggage, with a KG luggage rack, top box and sliding backrest. Once the Plexifairing is initially installed, it can be removed or put back on in less than 5 minutes. A friend who rides BMWs liked mine enough that he removed his Windjammer and went to the Plexifairing. BagMan luggage was made by the brother of the man who founded Windjammer. It also worked very well, and could be taken on or off in a minute. I never got a drop of water or dust inside. The soft luggage had stiffeners, so it never got near the exhaust or wheel. I toured with this setup, and always had room to spare for my gear.
                        In 1997 I lost the GS650G to the infamous left hand turn in front of the cycle, north of Galveston. I was able to salvage the soft luggage before turning the bike over to a salvage yard. Last month I bought a GS850G, and I'm going to use the same, 23 yo luggage. I'm scouring Ebay for the right KG luggage rack. I might put an Ebay top box on the rack, one with an integral back rest, since I will probably never again see another KG top box. I don't see any reason to go with hard luggage unless the bike will be used for *lots* of touring, and long distance touring at that.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                        X