Powder Coating my gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder Coating my gas tank?

Okay I did finish the paint on my gas tank using Duplicolor. Not too bad looking really but I still don't have the clear coat put on, but I have just recently got buddy buddy with a fellow who can powder coat everything on the bike for me, except maybe the frame. That is because we don't have easy access to a blast booth big enough.

My question is should I get my gas tank powder coated? Will it hold up to gas spills better than Duplicolor paint and clear coat or should I go ahead with powder coat and then still apply a clear coat? I got to watch the whole process tonight and it was pretty neat to see how fast and easy it is to PC bike parts literally in the span of 45 minutes we had blasted, heated, powder coated, heated and cooled the front fender.

So I plan on taking in my headlight housing, rear fender, gas tank, lower shock housings, my battery box, air box, and triple trees. All will be powder coat and then I may just pay the guy out on town to blast and powder the frame.

Is there any issues with powder coating any of these parts and will the powder coat hold up to spilled gas? Thanks in advance.

Paul
    aka
    "The Lucky Guy"

I powdercoated two or three of my tanks. it held up EXTREMELY well to fuel, and was abrasion resistant beyond the normal paint level. trust me, DRAIN ALL THE GAS AND FUMES OUT FIRST.

Comment

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear. Trust me it is dry I primed it two weeks ago and it has been sitting till i painted it last night. But I am not thrilled with the paint job and I want something that is going to last.

BTW Bob where exactly are you located? I am originally from Zolfo Springs in Hardee County, will be moving back there in three years more than likely.

Paul

Comment

I'm down in pasco, kind of on the border of pinellas. where I'm at I've got a love/hate relationship goin on.

Comment

LoL... I think I know the area you speak of...

One other question along this thread line, can I Powder coat my rims also, or will that mess up the bead line area?

Comment

Many folks have powdercoated the rims. No problem there at all.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I have powder coated my wheels and most other parts. My tank is still too pristine to mess with.

Coat them!

Comment

The only issue with PCing the tank is that you cant PC bondo. If the tank is perfect then PC away! Otherwise there ARE PCable body fillers.

Comment

yep, bondo just pops clean off, its a PITA.

I've powdered just about every part on one of my bikes at one time or other. any part can be done, its a time issue.

Comment

If you can powder coat. I have a good friend whi is a body paint man he says Porsche is now powder coating their car bodies instead of paint. He hates it too hard to repair and try to even blend paint with that stuff.
                    powder coat what you can.

Comment

I know powder coatings are extremely durable, but aren't the asthetics tough to come by? ,BK

Comment

Originally posted by sachsaca View Post
                        If you can powder coat. I have a good friend whi is a body paint man he says Porsche is now powder coating their car bodies instead of paint. He hates it too hard to repair and try to even blend paint with that stuff.
                        powder coat what you can.
                        OE auto manufacturers use various methods to paint their vehicles but I don't think they use powder coat in the conventional sense. Most use some sort of thermal setting paint (requires high temp to cure), but it's a spray material just like a regular paint.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

DuPont is making a clear that is diamond hard after a oven bake/cure. I was at my local paint supply about a year ago to pick out a clear for a bronco restoration. Guy wanted a very durable clear. They showed me the data for the clear and they mostly sale it to high end shops for repair work on high end cars. It supposedly was what the factory BMW's and a few other now come with. He knew I did not have the setup to use it, but told me that after it has cured, you basically can't even buff it...

Comment

i just fixed the dents and painted the tank and kit.. turned out nice

Comment

If youre looking for a fuel resistant clear finish for your tank, you may wanna try PJ1 Im sure theres others but its an epoxy based 2 part clear spray paint. Very fuel resistant and high gloss clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X