Need Fasteners for Seat Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Fasteners for Seat Cover

I finally got my new seat cover in the mail from PitReplica! Yaaay. I'll be posting pictures of it as soon as I get it mounted.

Speaking of getting it mounted, I need some help with that. You see, my seat pan is terribly rusted and while I bolstered it with some metal strips (hardly adequate) the clips to hold the cover are mostly snapped away.

My options are as follows;
    1 - Replace the pan. As much as I'd love to do this, I find that its hard to find one and expensive to ship.
    2 - Replace the stamped out clips with riveted on clips. I have found (in an old thread about this) clips that would work, but they don't seem to be available in Canada. http://www.easygardener.com/index.cf...ategory_ID=109 (Wood fasteners)
    3 - Line the inside edge of the pan with wood or plastic and staple the edge of the seat cover to that. This seems like the most hacked way of doing this but, provided I treat the wood right, it should work.

If you have more options for me, please tell me. In the meantime, I'd like to source some of those clips from Easy Gardener. Does anyone know where to get some of those? How much are they? etc.

Under the Where To Buy tab there were some places listed in Canada. Don't know if it's outta the way but just a thought. I'll keep my eyes open for them and let ya know too.

Comment

Pop rivets seem to work well

Comment

Originally posted by ikantbreave View Post
        Under the Where To Buy tab there were some places listed in Canada. Don't know if it's outta the way but just a thought. I'll keep my eyes open for them and let ya know too.
        I know, I called many of those places, none ACTUALLY carry them.

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
        Pop rivets seem to work well
        I thought of this but Im not sure how to do this in a way that is invisible and non-destructive.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
          I finally got my new seat cover in the mail from PitReplica! Yaaay. I'll be posting pictures of it as soon as I get it mounted.

Speaking of getting it mounted, I need some help with that. You see, my seat pan is terribly rusted and while I bolstered it with some metal strips (hardly adequate) the clips to hold the cover are mostly snapped away.

My options are as follows;
          1 - Replace the pan. As much as I'd love to do this, I find that its hard to find one and expensive to ship.
          2 - Replace the stamped out clips with riveted on clips. I have found (in an old thread about this) clips that would work, but they don't seem to be available in Canada. http://www.easygardener.com/index.cf...ategory_ID=109 (Wood fasteners)
          3 - Line the inside edge of the pan with wood or plastic and staple the edge of the seat cover to that. This seems like the most hacked way of doing this but, provided I treat the wood right, it should work.

If you have more options for me, please tell me. In the meantime, I'd like to source some of those clips from Easy Gardener. Does anyone know where to get some of those? How much are they? etc.
          How long did it take from start to finish for Pit Replica? They got my old seat cover last week and I'm wondering if it's going to be 3 weeks or 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG View Post
            How long did it take from start to finish for Pit Replica? They got my old seat cover last week and I'm wondering if it's going to be 3 weeks or 3 months.
            My story was a little lengthy, mostly because I neglected to put any identifying information on the package . After they received it, it took about 3 weeks for manufacture (they said it took more then usual because I have an insignia on my seat and they have to make the die for it) and another 3 weeks or so to ship it back.

Comment

Is it a 550 seat pan you need?
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                Is it a 550 seat pan you need?
                Yup, '79 550 specifically.

Comment

to use pop rivets you will need to drill your pan before you put on yhe cover. i like to also put a LIGHT mist of spray adhesive on the foam first too. then add seat cover and pop rivet in your predrilled holes. make sure to put the holes in the pan in an area wjere there is some foam or you will have little bumps in the cover that will wear through fairly quick.

Comment

A little off topic but I have an offer from Pit Replica thats almost too good to pass up. Without going into details.. How did you like the entire transaction with them?
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      A little off topic but I have an offer from Pit Replica thats almost too good to pass up. Without going into details.. How did you like the entire transaction with them?
                      My experience with them was fantastic! With the postal service, not so much. Things took a really long time for them to receive the old seat cover.

They responded to every one of my emails and were very professional throughout the whole process.

The quality of the seat cover itself is great. I will post pictures once it is all mounted. My only complaint is that the emblem on the back is a little too small, but that's not exactly a big deal.

Comment

Octain, I sent off my seat cover to Pit Replica and just got my new one today. It looks great! It takes a while to get back here, but the quality looks great.

I'm painting my seat pan now, trying to decide whether to recover it myself or let one of my upholstery guys do it for me.

Comment

Could you rivet these to the pan? I have seen a few seats that use this very cheap method to hold on seat covers.

The only difference is that the "teeth" were stamped out of the pan.

Comment

Working...
                          X