Cleaning the "spokes" on mag wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the "spokes" on mag wheels?

Has anyone got a tip for this? I'm keeping with the factory look, but cleaning the "spoke" parts of the wheels is turning out to be a pain. Do I have to sand off the tool marks to get them shiny again? A brass brush isn't doing very much good....

Thanks,

Rob

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
    Has anyone got a tip for this? I'm keeping with the factory look, but cleaning the "spoke" parts of the wheels is turning out to be a pain. Do I have to sand off the tool marks to get them shiny again? A brass brush isn't doing very much good....

Thanks,

Rob

You can use silicon carbide wet sandpaper to shine the machined places.
    The raw sand cast part I have no idea.

Comment

Sorry, my fault. The smooth alloy rim of the wheel I already have wet sanded to 600 grit and am ready to start with the buffer wheel. The black parts I'm going to repaint black. I'm staying with the factory look of the wheel.

I'm talking about the silver cut out part of the spokes. They all have the cutter marks still in them. From the factory I'm sure that they looked shiny and great, but now bits of crud have made their way into the cut marks giving them an overall dull appearance. I'm trying to figure out how to get that crud out without having to sand out the cut marks all together.

Rob

Comment

I use a green Scotch Brite saturated with Mothers aluminum wheel polish on the smooth part, followed by Mothers and a soft cloth. Polish to desired shine. If its really really bad I have also used 1000 grit sandpaper, with Mothers and some water. Again, followed by a soft cloth and MOthers.

For the inner spoke area I use a dry Scotch Brite.
        Unfortunately I have to do all this by hand as I dont know any other way to accomplish the look. Very time consuming but the results are very rewarding.

sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
          I'm trying to figure out how to get that crud out without having to sand out the cut marks all together.
          Rob
          Hoomgar's tip for this.....use pumice hand-cleaner, applied with a Scotch Brite pad. Rinse & repeat if necessary.
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
          X