Any luck with vinyl paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any luck with vinyl paint?

The seat on the new to me 550 project bike is blue and it won't look right with the paint scheme I'm thinking about. As its a budget project, I don't want to get it recovered but I was wondering how the vinyl paint might work. I suspect it would wear through where your thighs rub but I don't have any knowledge.

Has anyone used the stuff and what have the results been?

As always, all input is appreciated.

Cheers all,
    Spyug

Never hear of painting a seat. I would think you're right about it rubbing off. Me personally, I've used black shoe polish to bring new life back to a faded black seat. You just have to make sure you rub it out enough where the polish won't come off onto your pants.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I've used it it wears, and shows through after a while, but its easy to touch up.

Look at this horrible Corbin!
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Vinyl paint made it look much better.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Ive used it before. It doesnt rub off to quick but make sure to let it cure a little while before jumping on it. About a week should do it

Comment

Thanks guys . I think I'll give it a try. Worst case, I will need to touch it up a time or two.

Cheers,
            spyug

Comment

Paint technology is a lot better today, than it was 10 years ago, especially spray-can.

Worse case scenario, you just touch it up once every other riding season or so.....depending on how much you ride.

Comment

I don't know if vinyl paint is the same as vinyl dye but it seems to have a terrific following.

I have used cloth upholstery dye on synthetic fabric and it worked very well.

Comment

Leather Dye works great on seats, and it doesn't rub off like shoe polish. It is also very cheap. It is also great for sprucing up gauge housings, etc. that are black plastic.

Cheers,
                  Lyle

Comment

I used it years ago on a old truck I had. I colored tan seats to black.
                    Worked good but like others have said, a touch up every once in a while is all it needed.
                    I "scratched" the vinyl with a scratch pad.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                    X