Opinion on painted rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on painted rims

I have a 82 GS1100G that the rims are are looking a little faded and I want to paint them. The bike is gloss black with the gold pinstripes and i want the rims to be gloss or satin black as well.

My real question is "Should I go all black, including the lip and the spokes or leave the lip polished aluminum and then everything else all black."

My though process is to leave the lip polished so tire mounting doesn't scratch it up. I am open to ideas.

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

All black like that will be a LOT less work in terms of masking.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

At least the rims polished. All black looks terrible.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        At least the rims polished. All black looks terrible.

Agreed but it is much easier to do em all black, if you're lazy.

I've done em in stock form, six of em to be exact.
        Lots of work and VERY time consuming. But worth it.

sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Wow Todd..that looks just like how i do it too. Yeah it takes some time to mask them all off but they sure look good when done.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

there was a very nice blacked out v twin suzuki a few years back
            black rims with very sharp looking red stripe around the rims.

Comment

Years ago, in the 70's, I painted the tims on my RD400 with gold mag wheel paint to match the anodized aftermarket radial finned heads and gold tipped expansion chamber silencers. I scratched it up mounting the tires myself, so cleaned up the shoulders with super fine steel wool. It came out very nice.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I like the aluminum spokes so my vote would be to mask them when you paint it. Another option would be since you have some gold pinstriping on the bike maybe lay in some subtle gold accents inside the black.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckhahn View Post
                  Wow Todd..that looks just like how i do it too. Yeah it takes some time to mask them all off but they sure look good when done.

I use a smooth round edge, like a socket extension to cut the tape along the sharp edges of the wheels. Works a treat once ya practice at it.
                  Also found a new way to polish using a Dewalt Angle grinder with a polishing wheel mounted on it. Also works fantastic. Still not the easiest task to overcome but it sure makes it go much faster.
                  I've found that MOthers Aluminum Polish works the best. Rub it into the wheel with my finger then buff the hell out it with the grinder. Gives the bare aluminum a nice luster. Better than factory but not like chrome.
                  It's not as hard as one might think if ya have a lot of patience.
                  Here is the wheel mounted. I bit dusty but you get the idea.

A little tidbit. Dont wait for the paint to completely cure before removing the tape. As a matter of fact I like to remove it about 5 mins after spraying.
                  This is so any overspray can be easily removed with paint thinner.
                  Let cure for a day or so then scrub the spokes with a *dry* (green) scotchbrite.

Last edited by Octain; 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Here's what I did... just left the lip of the rim clear of paint so I could polish it up, rest blacked out:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                      there was a very nice blacked out v twin suzuki a few years back
                      black rims with very sharp looking red stripe around the rims.
                      Now that might look good as long as the red stripe is painted on, and not Auto Zone masking type pin striping that ya buy in a roll.
                      Last edited by Octain; 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Personally, I like rims that are all black. I always put the tire on the rim..first. Don't inflate them to set the bead. Mask the tire sides, paint the wheel, then inflate the tires. If they chip when mounting new tires down the road, they're still easy to touch up.
                        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

You could always just mask off the lip. Paint it, then go back after it's set up with a flat razor blade to the spoke faces. I've done that after seeing another member do it. Works well. Big key is to clean the snot out of em, and polish whatever you want shiny BEFORE you paint.

Comment

A slightly easier way to keep your silver edges:

Use a wire wheel to clean the whole rim.

Polish the rim to your satisfaction.

Mask off the polished rim and center hub, paint it ALL.

Give it a day to set up, then use a razor to scrape the edges of the 'spokes'.

When you are done, it looks a bit like this:

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As probably the laziest person on the forum, I vote just paint the whole thing. I have no patience for polishing, so I just powdercoated the whole shebang and said to heck with it:

But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X