Fresh powdercoating!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh powdercoating!

I have a friend that owns a powdercoating business, and I bartered with him for some work about two years ago, and I finally collected! This is my GS1000S Cooley project. He did the frame, 1100 swingarm, battery box, engine mounts, fairing brackets, foot pegs, triple tree cover, shocks, headlight ears, brake caliper bracket and stay, kickstand, and engine guards. They turned out great! Now to start putting it all back together!

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Originally posted by isleoman
    They look fantastic, what level of gloss did you go with?
    I'm not sure...I just asked for gloss black. It's pretty glossy! I can find out exactly what he used.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Very nice. That powdercoated frame goes a long way to making it look like a better than new bike.

Comment

What caught my eyes were the fork lowers and the case guards..sweet Bruce.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

wow...........
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I've always thought about powder-coating. I've got a slight issue with rust. Besides price, I just can't see myself tearing my little baby to pieces, and then the head-ache of putting it back together again.

Looking at your project just makes me so jealous. It'll be one sweet-and protected-ride once you get it back together again.

Comment

Oh yeah this is gonna be good! the popcorn is poppin..

Comment

Oy Vey! LOVE PC, and Bruce, if your hands are in it, you can bet the end result will be nothing short of stunning! Will be watching....

Comment

Looks great. I really like the idea of doing the fork lowers. Frijoles, it's just a matter of jumping in and doing it. Just start taking things apart and before you know it, you have pieces laying everywhere. But, at this point, I'd wait till the end of the season to start.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Looks great, Bruce! It all looks so nice when everything is new like that.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Wow, that things going to be awesome. I cannot wait to see it back together with the newly painted body pieces, throw in the hot rodded engine

BOY
                      1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        What caught my eyes were the fork lowers and the case guards..sweet Bruce.
                        Yes, matching guards should look pretty cool. This set was new and already black, but color matched will be nice.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Want to know more about powder-coating ?

Discover the ultimate destination for powder coating enthusiasts. Powder Buy The Pound offers a wide range of premium powder coating supplies and equipment, ensuring you achieve the best results for your projects.

Only thing I've had an issue with is the chrome. It goes on good and looks great but will fade and not look so good later on. A clear powder over it is recommended but when you do that they mix with the chrome and turn gray. But that's the only issue i know about.

If I were to guess I'd say you used something like: http://www.powderbuythepound.com/SUP...WET_BLACK.html
                          Stephen.
                          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

The guards that came on my Cooley are chrome and in deent shape, bit your giving me ideas!!!
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              Oh yeah this is gonna be good! the popcorn is poppin..
                              Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                              Oy Vey! LOVE PC, and Bruce, if your hands are in it, you can bet the end result will be nothing short of stunning! Will be watching....
                              The official thread is here:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X