Helmet painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet painting

Anybody do this? Anything I have to watch out for...any special procedures? Thanks.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Just my old combat helmet.

Comment

The only caution I can think of is that the solvents in the paint may weaken your helmet. Every new helmet I've ever bought has a huge caution against painting it due to incompatabilities with the helmet polymers. Most of them say vinyl graphics is the way to go.

Comment

If its safe on plastics its safe on the helmet.

Comment

From a quick search. All the pictures have been lost but there is still some good info in the thread.

and

both say the same thing. Its the solvents that are bad. Not the paint
          Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Maybe I'll just get new one.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

It can be done but the amount of effort involved seems silly. Much easier to but a new lid I think. Check the online suppliers, usually you can find a pretty good deal on solid color helmets.

Comment

You're probably right, but the money saved with the amount of effort can be a lot, depending on the helmet you want. I like Nolans and they can be expensive.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Just for future reference, the liner can also be eaten away by paint (overspray, fumes, whatever).

I have an old 3/4 vintage lid that has been pinstriped- maybe another option to change the look of a helmet.

Comment

My helmet is already a solid silver color. The problem is that the silver paint is flaking off. Looks pretty bad in places. I'd love to get a new one but am not ready to shell out over $200 so I guess I'll just keep wearing it for now.
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

Simple to do, first thing you want to do is totally disassemble the helmet, remove everything. Save the DOT and SNELL stickers and restick them after paint.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                      X