Vetter Windjammer Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetter Windjammer Fairing

I just recently was awarded a 1979 gs850g and it equipped with a vetter windjammer fairing, i was curious as to how easy it is going to be to remove this heap of plastic and fiberglass. Never owned a bike before in my life so i have no idea how to do it, if i shouldnt take on the task please advise me!!!!
    thank you

It's supper simple, just taking off nuts and bolts. You will need another headlight to put back in though, the one that is in the fairing will not fit back onto the bike without the fairing, so don't start the job till you have another light (or you won't be able to ride!). Just pay attention to the wiring connections when you take them apart, they just back together the same afterwards, that or download a wiring diagram from Cliffs site. If you're thinking of not using the fairing try selling it on here, or maybe trading someone for a headlight. I'm not sure of the fairing you have but I doubt your signals are integrated into it. And welcome to the site. Great bike you have there, lets see some pictures!!
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Sorry, but we can not give any advise untill you post picture of the bike.

(naw, just joking, but we all do like photos).

I had an 850G with a jammer (windjammer IV from 1980 I think) .
      THe easy part will be removing the fairing. THe harder part may be finding a replacement headlight and t/signals.

Look between the fairing and the what is left of the original headlight. THat is where you will see the wiring harness. It plugs into the side of the fairing. You can unplug it from the side of the fairing to make it easy to remove fairing. THat harness was added to the bike. It came with the fairing, and should be removed from the the bikes wiring, so it can go with the fairing. Most Any potentioal buyer will want to have that harness (unless they are ignorant of it).

TO remove the fairing: look at the bike frame in front of the engine, in between the exhaust pipes. You will probably see how the mounting brackets are clamped on there. Also look under the fairing where the fairing sits on that mounting bracket, will see some studs sticking thru the bracket. Can remove the nuts from those studs and fairing will likley fall over foward and dent your front fender (so hold onto it so it doesnt). Then can sit the fairing somewhere (carfull not to damage the studs). Then can more easlily get the bracket off the bike.

You will probably see that the headlight has been removed from the headlight shell (and was put in the fairing). Mine had a rubber cap over the headlight shell. And I had an extra headlight to put in bike and left the one in the fairing. You may want to take the headlight out of fairing to reinstall in bike.
      My removoing the fairing was made easier because the previous owner gave me all the parts to return to stock.

Last edited by Redman; 05-08-2011, 04:58 PM. Reason: add photos

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It is currenty in the shop for some carb problems, but when i get it out i will post some pics, thank you for the warm welcome, i'm new to motorcycle riding and this is my first bike, i have heard nothing but good things about the make and model.... and what exactly is cliffs website? i will not keep the vetter fairing ( i dont care for it very much). Also i have heard mixed rumors that the vetter headlight will fit into the old headlight mount and i have been told that it will not fit, can anybody clarify which one is true, and if so i need to find a headlight, this might turn into a winter job gotta keep riding!!!!

Comment

pics

here it is before it went to the shop!!! hopefully still the same when it gets out!!!

Comment

Usually, the headlight mounts are missing on Windjammer equipped bikes, but not always. You have to pull the forks to install the stock mounts. Its no big deal, but takes a little time for me.

You will need a set of turn signals too, for the front.

The stock seat for that bike is very comfortable. That double bucket probably isn't as comfortable as stock.

That bike has potential for sure.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thank you all for all the help and advice i really do appreciate it!!! sounds like its gonna be a winter project, along with a new paint job

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Namerif,

We encourage each other to do most, if not all, of our own work on these classic/vintage bikes. I have read too many horror stories of dealerships and bike shops really ham-fisting the repairs. There are a few old wrenches out there who love these bikes like we do, but they are few and far between. I wish you luck with your shop experience.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's possible, but not probable that they left the headlight bucket on. I know of two bikes, one a '77 'Wing, the other a '78 'Wing with the bucket left on behind the fairing with the rubber cover over it. Most of the Suzukis with fairings the bucket was removed to place the fairing closer and not have it stick out as far.

Comment

Got it back!!

so i got my bike back from the shop after getting the carbs cleaned and rebuilt!..... took my first ride to Moses Lake wa from the Tri cities, did about 236 miles round trip, amazing! its great bike handles like a champ!

Comment

one more pic

here is the next pic

Comment

THanks for posting pictures
                        (although I think they are Your Thumbnail photos, are not annybigger when I click them open.)

Sounds like you had a great trip, a long ride.
                        That what bikes with fairings are for.
                        So maybe you are thinking that you like that fairing and not so concered about removing it anymore. You might get a differnt idea some day its 95 degrees out though, but just remember the mornings when it is 40 degrees.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes

Yeah i believe i might like the fairing! i cant figure out how to post the Pics larger, but when i do ill put more up.... just got done riding 400 miles this last weekend too! went to moses lake from tri cities then to leavenworth and back to moses then to tri cities all over again.... its an amazing bike couldnt be happier!!! And so far, i dont have any desire to take the fairing off!! like you said remember the days when its 40 or the wind is blowing harder than you think!!!

Comment

You've got me convinced, I'm keeping the Windjammer. NOT! But I'm glad I stumbled onto this post to help in the removal of mine. I'm glad you're liking yours, though. Buy a few good quality tools if you don't have them and learn to enjoy tinkering with your bike. you will learn very quickly. Mine definitely has the stock headlight bucket and mounting brackets removed, the original owner kept them in a box he gave me when I picked up the bike, along with the turn signals and passenger pegs. (Pegs are like new, eat your heart out, restorers!) He must have put the WJ on as soon as he got the bike. I've got an HD dresser to take on the cool, windy days, so this thing is going back to stock. Crash bars, sissy bar and luggage rack are all coming off. May keep the front engine guards.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                              Crash bars, sissy bar and luggage rack are all coming off. May keep the front engine guards.
                              Pm this gent (michaelj_444); He's been looking for a luggage rack.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X