X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to Black

Left control from an 86 Honda 700SC..

Before...

After...three applications and a one hour dry time.

kinda smelly but great stuff.

Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2011, 08:40 AM.

I have some of that stuff too and it does work. Sort of like gel style Armor All. Anyone know how long the shine lasts?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It is good stuff. If you keep using it you prevent you flares on your jeep form going black to grey. Another failing of DC.

It stays longer than Armor All and STP son of a gun, though it is no better than the Simoniz equivalent to Armor All.

Comment

Huh. That's cool! I've seen that stuff but so far considered it sort of snake oil. WD40 works ok too if you spray it on a rag, wipe it on let it soak and then wipe off excess. I'll have to give that stuff a shot though.
        I did find for things like the handlebar pads and the tools trays/gloveboxes etc that spray on rubberized bumper coating works very very nicely and lasts and looks near as good as new it makes no difference.

Comment

Oh also for you guys with the later model switches in metal housings: to refresh them, I've found it works perfectly to spray them with Duplicolour "Low Gloss" Black. After it's dried I go back in with model paint or white nail polish and re-letter the stamped in lettering. Don't be afraid to get it in there good. Simply wipe down any over flow from the letters with a rag with nail polish remover (non acetone type) It won't take the Duplicolour motor paint off and leaves the in-set lettering white or whatever colour you choose.

Comment

If you scrub the plastics and rubber bits with a dish scrubbie and some purple power first it will look even better.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Orrrrrrr....Strip the paint and lightly polish em!

Comment

switchgear refurb

nice work, the attention to detail is superb, makes me want to do mine, but then again i want to ride it!!may buy spare set to refurb slow time

Comment

Alext90..find some old switch housings and do them to your liking and then transplant the guts once youve got them done.. surely someone here has some old switches you can pick up relatively cheap.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nice work JW and thanks for the tip. I had the same problem on every one of my S's. I think I'll give the stuff a try on the compartment door of my GK fairing. Now about your spellcheck. lol
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Anyone have some long term results with the Back to Black?

I used it on some trim on my Jeep, and it only held up for a couple months before the plastic returned to its dull off black color. Although that might have been caused by driving in the snow and rain, which a bike isnt subjected to.

Comment

Originally posted by Starboard M View Post
                        Anyone have some long term results with the Back to Black?

I used it on some trim on my Jeep, and it only held up for a couple months before the plastic returned to its dull off black color. Although that might have been caused by driving in the snow and rain, which a bike isnt subjected to.

For a product like this two weeks would be a long term fix.
                        It will wear off in rain like anything else.
                        I used to wash my jeep before the damn thing started rusting. I used it every wash so it never really got a chance to wash away.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, always looking for good reviews on products.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                          X