GT250 seat on a GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT250 seat on a GS750

i found a seat that i really like, but it is for a GT250. Would the seat/pan from the that bike work on a GS750? here it is on ebay.

How are your welding and fabrication skills?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

pretty good. what am i looking at having to do ?

Comment

Snag the seat, get it home and make it work. If your fab. skills are pretty good as you say, you should be able to make it happen.

Likely you're going to have to move hinges around, either on the seat pan or on the frame, maybe find some ways to visually fill in the gaps between the plastics and the new seat, or move the plastics around (more fabrication).

Nothing's impossible with the time/ability/money (pick any two or all three).

Comment

And make sure you post pic's of the seat and frame before, during, and after
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

On my '78 GS550, I used this unidentified seat (similar to a GT seat) with no trouble. I screwed a steel tab (with a rubber hose over it) into the front to slide under the lip of the tank, and attached a clip nut to a hole in the bottom of the seat pan, over the rear fender, so a thumb screw could pass up through a hole in the fender and secure the seat. It's reasonably secure from theft, because no one would be likely to find the thumb screw under there. The seat stays centered because it fits snugly over the frame rails in front, and the screw holds it down and centered in the rear. The passenger's weight rests on the rear arched crossmember, to which I screwed two rubber pads.

I cut off the stock seat hinges and latch so the whole thing would fit down over the frame. I also cut off the rear frame horns, but this wasn't really necessary, just looked cleaner, since I'm not using a luggage rack or grab bar.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
              On my '78 GS550, I used this unidentified seat (similar to a GT seat) with no trouble. I screwed a steel tab (with a rubber hose over it) into the front to slide under the lip of the tank, and attached a clip nut to a hole in the bottom of the seat pan, over the rear fender, so a thumb screw could pass up through a hole in the fender and secure the seat. It's reasonably secure from theft, because no one would be likely to find the thumb screw under there. The seat stays centered because it fits snugly over the frame rails in front, and the screw holds it down and centered in the rear. The passenger's weight rests on the rear arched crossmember, to which I screwed two rubber pads.

I cut off the stock seat hinges and latch so the whole thing would fit down over the frame. I also cut off the rear frame horns, but this wasn't really necessary, just looked cleaner, since I'm not using a luggage rack or grab bar.

Now THATS what I'm looking for!

So you have no idea what kind of seat that is from?
              Did you get it online or at a yard?
              How much did you pay for it?

I have a 82 650 I'm converting.
              I also have an 81 550 to compare measurement differences

Comment

Got it off eBay. The seller said it was from an xs650, but it doesn't look like any xs seat I've ever seen. Check out my albums for more pics.

Comment

My seat is actually from a small Honda, very little fabbing to make it fit, and I think it looks much better than stock.

Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X